Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Trunk Battery Mount Location Behind the seat or behind the wheel well

I'm debating about where to put the battery in my 69 Camaro trunk. Under the package tray / behind the rear seat or behind the wheel well. Finishing out the trunk when done it seems like putting it under the package tray is a better choice maybe but there's the a few bumps in the trunk floor there, not a flat place to put a battery tray without putting a short platform in there. Pictures of finished trunks with trunk mounted batteries would be appreciated as well as any input on how to deal with making a flat surface for a battery tray to mount behind the rear seat.

I've done both under the package tray and behind the right wheel well. I didn't finish the trunk out but I believe under the package tray would best if you going to finish the trunk out.
      Pic of my 66 Mustang and my 73 Camaro.
      Just a note. I don't like using grommet and running the cables thru them. I use bulk head connectors.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I've also done them in both locations, here it is hidden by a panel that is held with Velcro and swings out in a finished trunk.

Also under the package tray I just used a stock battery tray to level it out.
      Don 67 Camaro RS/SS Texas

Regardless of the spot you chose, make sure the battery is vented to the exterior of the vehicle.

Some batteries now have vent tube openings on them that a simple nipple and tube can be attached and the tube passed through the floor to the exterior of the car while other batteries like the above shown optima batteries require enclosures around the battery that then the enclosure gets vented to the exterior of the vehicle.

Oh, and add the proper protection to the wires and cabling off of the battery positive post.

Jim

Deleted question because it was answered.

Since I had ride tech bolt in cage I used a piece of 3X5X1/4 aluminum angle with 3" leg down to the front.
      Bolted it to my ride tech bolted cage mounts, then used 2 OE style battery trays bolted to it and fabbed some kill switch brackets. Also fabbed an aluminum tray for my amp and bluetooth pass through radio.Name:  IMG_20230107_190059.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  203.1 KB
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Since I had ride tech bolt in cage I used a piece of 3X5X1/4 aluminum angle with 3" leg down to the front.
      Bolted it to my ride tech bolted cage mounts, then used 2 OE style battery trays bolted to it and fabbed some kill switch brackets. Also fabbed an aluminum tray for my amp and bluetooth pass through radio.Name:  IMG_20230107_190059.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  203.1 KB
      Did you do anything to protect the wiring off of your battery posts should a short occur and then what are you doing for your battery venting ?.

Just curious.

Jim

Had mine under the package tray then moved it to behind the wheel. I've since added the square glass fuses at the positive post on a duel fuse mount, one is 200 amp for the starter the other is a 30 amp for everything else.Name:  batterycovers.PNG
Views: 571
Size:  1.31 MB Name:  619Qkn+FrgL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  67.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
      Had mine under the package tray then moved it to behind the wheel. I've since added the square glass fuses at the positive post on a duel fuse mount, one is 200 amp for the starter the other is a 30 amp for everything else.Name:  batterycovers.PNG
      Curious why you moved it from below the package tray area?

Quote Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
      Did you do anything to protect the wiring off of your battery posts should a short occur and then what are you doing for your battery venting ?.

Just curious.

Jim
      Jim
      Clear vinyl tube for each battery. I intend to fab an aluminum box for each and vent it but haven't got that far yet.
      As for circuit protection it's got 300 amp Blue sea stuff. Fusibles style on the hot circuits.
      Want to switch for a circuit breaker. But haven't got that done yet either.
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Jim
      Clear vinyl tube for each battery. I intend to fab an aluminum box for each and vent it but haven't got that far yet.
      As for circuit protection it's got 300 amp Blue sea stuff. Fusibles style on the hot circuits.
      Want to switch for a circuit breaker. But haven't got that done yet either.
      Cool.

Sometimes it's hard to see exactly what is going on with just a picture.

40+ years ago when I first put the battery in the trunk on my car, I never thought about protecting the cable with a proper sized fuse or venting it to the outside of the car but today these kind of things need to happen.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Transfer weight to the right rear to help offset the heavy load in the driver seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Streib View Post
      Cool.

Sometimes it's hard to see exactly what is going on with just a picture.

40+ years ago when I first put the battery in the trunk on my car, I never thought about protecting the cable with a proper sized fuse or venting it to the outside of the car but today these kind of things need to happen.

Jim
      Yeah and I'm not good at picture taking either!
      TANKMASTERJ
      Jasons Toys
      2000 HD Softail

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com