Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

RIP John Paige (NOT A TA)

Hello,

I know this will be some news for the long-time car forum community. I searched some forums I frequent and see that no one has posted this. I just went to tag my friend John Paige on a Facebook post and ended up finding out he passed away in December.

Where do I start with this?

Basically since the internet, forums and car pages started, John (NOT A TA) was a significant contributor to many different forums. Pro-Touring, NastyZ28, Trans Am Country, 78TA, etc. Most people know him from his red 1970 Pontiac Firebird "The 14 Car". He didn't talk about it much online but, unless you spoke to him, he had a car collection outside of that specific car such as an 1980's Porsche Carrera, 1960's Camaro convertible and others. He worked on many high end cars over the years for customers and friends. I am truly sad to hear that he passed away and didn't get to finish out his 1970 Firebird project. That car had 315 tires set up before the days of everyone having 335's, link suspension, etc.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ght=john+paige

John Paige by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

In my time of knowing John through the forums, having long conversations with him exchanging ideas or relating in life, I found him to be a very intelligent individual and lived a really diverse life. He was originally from the Northeastern States but relocated to Delray Beach, Florida about 10 years ago. During his time down in Florida, he had worked with his local village engineers for engineering projects, assisted with a local engine shop and worked for-hire helping locals build their project cars.

Some of the Firebird/Camaro community may know John from his business called Lab-14. I was his first sponsor along 3 other guys for the parts he initially developed to strengthen, correct and repair factory 1967-1981 GM F-Body subframes. To this day, I am thankful for John being generous to offer me his parts and even mailed me a drilling jig to drill my frame. With many life events and situations getting in the way of me making progress with my build, I never got to display John's parts in the manner I would have like to from him sponsoring my build. I'll always remember apologizing to him for not being able to display the parts he sent me and offering him money, but he always said it was fine.

https://www.lab-14.com/pages/about-us

While many of us car guys know John from his car-related content, John owned a BMX and Skateboard shop called Rad Rob's in Connecticut for many years. From when I had spoken with him, he had said his shop was one of the biggest distributors in the country for BMX and Skateboarding. He used to race BMX in the 70's and knew a lot of the originators of the sport such as Bob Haro (Haro Bikes). Here is a video of a 1992 commercial from the shop he owned...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVp71e1DWk

I don't even know where to end on this. John was a very smart man, really worked on a lot of things throughout his lifetime and was a great guy to have a conversation with. I remember he had once told me he had been in development with a group to make a pedal-powered helicopter that you would basically ride like a bicycle. From what he had said, they got it to work but it was not a project that was designed to be sold to people or become produced commercially. This was a totally out-there project but that was exactly the type of thing John would be involved with. From having 315's on his leaf spring Firebird before many people had 315-335 tires, to developing a bicycle-helicopter or performing aerodynamic testing for classic muscle cars, John was great at mechanics and engineering.

RIP John Paige (aka Not A TA)

This is very sad news, I was just talking about him yesterday, Personally collaborated with John as well, he told me last fall he was not doing well.
      RIP John.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Sad news...RIP John.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

RIP John. You will be missed.
      Scott from NJ.

Vent Windows Forever! ...

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
      I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

Wow, so sad. I always loved reading his posts... Rip

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

I too will miss John. I always found him to be thoughtful, intelligent, and well spoken. Our phone calls would always stretch on for an hour or more. He was also seeming on every forum I ventured into. The world is lesser without him in it.
      If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place.
      69 GTO
      72 FIREBIRD
      64 BONNEVILLE FUNERAL COACH
      70 JAVELIN
      52 F1 FORD PU
      29 FORD PU
      85 ALFA ROMEO
      ASSORTED DUCATI'S
      91 BLAZER LOWRIDER

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com