Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Help Me Find a First Gen Resto-Mod Camaro For My Little Sister!

So my little sis tells me this morning that she wants a first-gen Camaro. She's never been a hot rodder but she does appreciate classic cars.

Budget is $60k, tops. Less is better.

Looking for something turn-key. No projects.

Must have A/C.

Can be auto or manual.

Nothing too outrageous on the exterior.

Mild engine; LS preferred.

Neither she nor her husband are handy and I live several states away, so strong preference for something that won't need a lot of maintenance/upkeep.

Car will be used for short commutes and weekend trips.

She's in KC, but no problem buying something and having it shipped. Figure she's not likely to fine exactly what she wants local to her.

Anyone know of anything? Where do y'all normally look? eBay?

Thanks!

Scott
      Check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck rescues and rebuilds! THE BULLETPROOF GARAGE!!! - YouTube

Ok I will be Debby downer.
      Has your sister driven any kind of 1st gen Camaro? Some drive great some not so much.
      I'm not not in KC but AndrewB that does a lot of Holley tuning is and may be able help inspection wise.
      I would be very nervous buying a custom hot rod for folks that don't have any expireince with old cars.
      My .02 is maybe a late model Camaro or Mustang? $60K or less would buy a really nice late model car. Maybe a vert?

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Ok I will be Debby downer.
      Has your sister driven any kind of 1st gen Camaro? Some drive great some not so much.
      I'm not not in KC but AndrewB that does a lot of Holley tuning is and may be able help inspection wise.
      I would be very nervous buying a custom hot rod for folks that don't have any expireince with old cars.
      My .02 is maybe a late model Camaro or Mustang? $60K or less would buy a really nice late model car. Maybe a vert?
      She's never driven anything vintage.

I'd be surprised if she found something in/near KC. We will search nationwide.

Late model would make more sense, but that's not in the cards. She's had the gamut of late model cars - BMW, Range Rover, etc. She's itching for something vintage.

BTW - I think the more accurate term is resto-mod. She doesn't need a Pro-Touring suspension, brakes, etc. She wants creature comforts in an old vehicle.

thanks
      Check out my YouTube channel for vintage car and truck rescues and rebuilds! THE BULLETPROOF GARAGE!!! - YouTube

You're a good brother if you're buying a 60K car for your sister. I'm always looking for another brother. You up for it? BTW, I'm looking for a 1st gen LS camaro too.

Quote Originally Posted by 68conv455 View Post
      You're a good brother if you're buying a 60K car for your sister. I'm always looking for another brother. You up for it? BTW, I'm looking for a 1st gen LS camaro too.
      I'm a good brother, but I'm not THAT good of a brother. I need to find the car and probably inspect it. She'll be writing the check, not me.

I have one that would be perfect. Well, except for the price and no AC, but its a convertible. I'd have to get around 75 though.
      65 corvette, RS chassis, LS3, TKX

She has vetoed convertibles. Out of her price range too.

Thanks

Debbie Downer pt II

After that list of cars mentioned that she has owned as well as the comment of "wanting creature comforts in a old vehicle" I'm thinking it's probably best to hold off till car show season and have her go around and get some rides from folks in their cars. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the bloom may fall off the rose fairly quickly. Even the nicest restomods have some compromises and to get something near what she wants is gonna take a lot more than $60k.
      Tracey

Quote Originally Posted by Tsaints1115 View Post
      Debbie Downer pt II

After that list of cars mentioned that she has owned as well as the comment of "wanting creature comforts in a old vehicle" I'm thinking it's probably best to hold off till car show season and have her go around and get some rides from folks in their cars. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the bloom may fall off the rose fairly quickly. Even the nicest restomods have some compromises and to get something near what she wants is gonna take a lot more than $60k.

It's an excellent point, and one that I've thought about. I was hoping she would be able to find a resto-mod Camaro for sale near where she lives (Kansas City) so she could take it for a drive, but no luck yet.

As I'm always happy to spend other peoples money. LOL.
      I was killing some time last week while getting some parts welded. I went to a friends hot rod shop in the small town of Osakis MN. The shop is called the "Hot Rod Shop". Larry Lehn is the owner.
      While I was there we were looking at a 67-68 Camaro he had just bought to do some touch up and resell. I believe he said it had a crate small block. It had some type of big brake upgrade front and rear. It had been redone in the past. It looked ok. I didn't look underneath.
      Larry has to do some paint work due to wind/tree damage this summer. We had some really bad weather last spring that knocked down thousands of trees.
      I've known Larry for a number years. Bought a couple project cars from him over the years. Always was a straight shooter with me.
      He has a web site.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      As I'm always happy to spend other peoples money. LOL.
      I was killing some time last week while getting some parts welded. I went to a friends hot rod shop in the small town of Osakis MN. The shop is called the "Hot Rod Shop". Larry Lehn is the owner.
      While I was there we were looking at a 67-68 Camaro he had just bought to do some touch up and resell. I believe he said it had a crate small block. It had some type of big brake upgrade front and rear. It had been redone in the past. It looked ok. I didn't look underneath.
      Larry has to do some paint work due to wind/tree damage this summer. We had some really bad weather last spring that knocked down thousands of trees.
      I've known Larry for a number years. Bought a couple project cars from him over the years. Always was a straight shooter with me.
      He has a web site.
      Ok, I checked out his website. Didn't see it listed. I may give him a call. Thanks

I live in kansas city and would be happy to give her a ride. My 69 camaro is high end build but would give her a idea of the ride quality.

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      I live in kansas city and would be happy to give her a ride. My 69 camaro is high end build but would give her a idea of the ride quality.
      Excellent!!! I'll let her know.

Thanks!

Here's one that we're looking at now - https://www.streetsideclassics.com/v...ibute-restomod

I'm guessing it's an older build since it has a fuel injected LT1 and a 700R4, but that's no big deal. Does have AC, PS, 4WPDB. Not a huge fan of the red-on-red color combo, but that's not a huge drawback. Would also prefer modern gauges, but no huge issue there, either. Also appears to have all original suspension front and rear, so it's going to ride and drive accordingly. 10 bolt rear; a 12 bolt or 9" would be preferable, at least to me.

I doubt they have a thick binder with resto pics, but I'd be interested to know how long ago it was painted and how much sheetmetal was replaced.

Yeah that's the problem with buying from a dealer. They probably just got the car and trying to make a quick flip and don't know anything about the car. Seems kinda high to me with stock suspension and a 10 bolt. Plus no air conditioning and here in kc it gets hot

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Yeah that's the problem with buying from a dealer. They probably just got the car and trying to make a quick flip and don't know anything about the car. Seems kinda high to me with stock suspension and a 10 bolt. Plus no air conditioning and here in kc it gets hot
      car does have AC.

Thanks

Oops missed that
      Quote Originally Posted by Bulletpruf View Post
      car does have AC.

Thanks

better to check out the first gen of pro-Touring Camaro on ebay Amazon....

Sis is supposed to look at a few cars this weekend - one Pro-Touring that's not for sale but owned by a friend's dad - just so she can get an idea of what one of these rides and drives like.

She's also supposed to check out another that is for sale and local to her...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com