Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Pro-Touring Steering Gear Box

Hi All,

I have a 1970 Camaro. I am looking at a couple of different pro touring gear boxes. I am looking at a PSC 12.7:1 steering gear box or the DSE 12.7:1 steering gear box. Does have any of you used these? What are your thoughts on their performance? Are there better options?

Thanks

we've sold both the DSE used to be a Delphi box but no longer available, I just looked up the new DSE and at that price they are imports, the PSC is the only US made box but it's $990 but it's the best box you can get.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

What about Turn One? They sell a quality steering gear.

Edit: Never mind they are out of stock.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Is this what has become of DSE under Holley? Selling offshore steering boxes?

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have the PCS 12.7 box and i'm very happy with it. I want a Turn One box but like Don said, out of stock and have been for almost 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by 79T/Aman View Post
      we've sold both the DSE used to be a Delphi box but no longer available, I just looked up the new DSE and at that price they are imports, the PSC is the only US made box but it's $990 but it's the best box you can get.
      Thanks for the response. It sounds like the the PSC are the best on the market. I will have to save a little bit more to get one. I have looked at you stuff at pro touring f body before and there are a few items I am interested in. I will have to give you a call some time.

Quote Originally Posted by MEvinson View Post
      Thanks for the response. It sounds like the the PSC are the best on the market. I will have to save a little bit more to get one. I have looked at you stuff at pro touring f body before and there are a few items I am interested in. I will have to give you a call some time.
      Thank you sir.
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

Get a box from 88-92 Camaro or Firebird with the FE2 option.
      These have 12.7:1 ratio and a tight .210 Tee Bar, which is pretty stiff, I have one.

The standard Gen 3 Camaro has similar box with with .190 Torsion Bar, might like this better, its not as stiff.
      I picked one from wrecker for 65.00

I got all this info from the tech at Turn One a few years ago.

I got my box from Sweet Manufacturing. You can choose the ratio and t-bar size you want. The t-bar determines the ratio of steering assist you get; smaller t-bars like 0.165 will give you pinky steering with little or no feedback while larger t-bars like .200-.235 will give you heavier steering with more feedback. Most of the "pro touring" boxes I've seen (DSE, Turn One) use a .210 t-bar. In my car, I have a very heavy .235 t-bar with a 12.7:1 ratio. I absolutely love the heavy box on the road and autocross, but it feels almost like manual steering in parking lot situations and it definitely takes more arm effort in general. Parking lot maneuverability is going to depend also on tire size, caster, and scrub. It's worth noting I only have 245 width tires up front and run about 7deg of caster. If you run wider tires, you may want to error to a smaller t-bar. In terms of ratio, the 12.7 ratio was an improvement at autocross; I found myself shuffling hands less, but on the street it is not noticeable.

Here are videos with my initial driving impressions of the stock box vs. the heavy box. Sorry they aren't edited down more - they are a little on the long side.

Stock box
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDgfPRVsus

12.7:1 0.235 t-bar box
      https://youtu.be/FICvmAFrpSY
      Clint - '70 Nova "restomod" cruiser & autocross family car

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
      I got my box from Sweet Manufacturing. You can choose the ratio and t-bar size you want. The t-bar determines the ratio of steering assist you get; smaller t-bars like 0.165 will give you pinky steering with little or no feedback while larger t-bars like .200-.235 will give you heavier steering with more feedback. Most of the "pro touring" boxes I've seen (DSE, Turn One) use a .210 t-bar. In my car, I have a very heavy .235 t-bar with a 12.7:1 ratio. I absolutely love the heavy box on the road and autocross, but it feels almost like manual steering in parking lot situations and it definitely takes more arm effort in general. Parking lot maneuverability is going to depend also on tire size, caster, and scrub. It's worth noting I only have 245 width tires up front and run about 7deg of caster. If you run wider tires, you may want to error to a smaller t-bar. In terms of ratio, the 12.7 ratio was an improvement at autocross; I found myself shuffling hands less, but on the street it is not noticeable.

Here are videos with my initial driving impressions of the stock box vs. the heavy box. Sorry they aren't edited down more - they are a little on the long side.

Stock box
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrDgfPRVsus

12.7:1 0.235 t-bar box
      https://youtu.be/FICvmAFrpSY
      Thank you for the info and the videos. Very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by MEvinson View Post
      Hi All,

I have a 1970 Camaro. I am looking at a couple of different pro touring gear boxes. I am looking at a PSC 12.7:1 steering gear box or the DSE 12.7:1 steering gear box. Does have any of you used these? What are your thoughts on their performance? Are there better options?

Thanks
      I have not used either of those brands, but I have run a factory Delphi 670 (no longer available) and a Lee Power Steering 800. The Lee boxes are factory refurbished from real saginaw cases. They are awesome and ship fast. I went with a 45in-lb torsion bar, standard is 35in-lb. Lee is worth a look in my opinion.
      Electrical/Mechanical Engineer
      1968 Camaro RS - Flat Black

Quote Originally Posted by hp jnkey View Post
      Get a box from 88-92 Camaro or Firebird with the FE2 option.
      These have 12.7:1 ratio and a tight .210 Tee Bar, which is pretty stiff, I have one.

The standard Gen 3 Camaro has similar box with with .190 Torsion Bar, might like this better, its not as stiff.
      I picked one from wrecker for 65.00

I got all this info from the tech at Turn One a few years ago.
      Hi, do these require any modifications? I'd love to replace my non-ws6 box.
      Thanks

I don't believe there are any other modifications required, mine bolted right up
      But these boxes have a poor turning radius compared to the stock box.
      Might want to check this out before you pull the trigger.
      I think the Gen 3 box is 64*only.
      I think the 84-88 Monte Carlo SS had similar box but with better radius.

Country Flag: Canada
      I used the JGC box in my car and was happy with it, especially considering how available they were at the time and the $125 CAD price tag. I think a brand new one is nice, but to me it wasn't worth the extra $$. I have never personally seen a box failure.

https://www.chevelles.com/threads/jg...w-pics.317222/
      72 firebird , SD performance 464" 455,KRE D ports, EZ EFI,Dougs 1 3/4,3.5" custom oval exhaust,TKO600,Kore 3 C5/C6,DSE subframes,Full cage by Radical Rides(Thanks Dave,Johnny,Campbell,Bill,Lee and Gabby!!)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com