Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Car follows the road

Hey guys. I have a quick question regarding my car following the grooves on the road. I'm not sure whether this is a suspension issue, wheel tire combo issue or both. If i'm cruising through town and the pavement has a line, grooves, or trough in it, the car seems to get a mind of its own. It will sway back and forth like its trying to hunt for the road. In my 68 camaro, I have a ridetech 4link rear with ridetech front uppers & Lowers. Ridetech shocks all around. I do not have their drop spindle. The spindle i have is the CPP c5 spindle. Wheel & tire setup is: Front 17x8-235/45/17 Rear 17x11 315/30/17. All suspension parts were purchased new. New replacement subframe. Not sure if more info is needed but id appreciate some help.

Thanks!

Search tramlining

normal
      https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

It's unusual for a car with that narrow of a front tire to have tramlining issues. My guess is your alignment has room for improvement. Do you know your current settings?

I take as much caster as I can get (usually around 4 degrees on stock type arms) and dial in just a touch of toe-in (1/16" or so). Camber depends on how you use the car, but I like -0.2 degrees or so for a street cruiser.

Some tires are also more likely to tramline than others; BFGs are the worst offenders in my experience. Adding air pressure will help, but the tradeoff is a more jittery ride. What tires and pressure are you running now?
      - Ryan

Thanks. I'll look into tramlining. The tires are probably part of the problem then, as they are toyo proxes R1R for the front and toyo proxes TQ drag radial for the rear. Not sure about my alignment settings because the shop i took it to said their printer was down on the alignment machine when i asked about them. Asked for the specs and all they could tell me was that theyre close to the spec sheet i gave them. (supplied with ridetech A-Arms)

To add on to the solid info from Ryan. Loose bearings or steering parts, toe out, lots of camber, soft sidewalls, large amounts of axle end play, and really wide tires will all cause that.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

So, sorta normal. I Appreciate the info guys. Thanks!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com