Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Looking for an LED light to fit into side markers

Hey all, I’m looking to make the side marker lights on my 68 Charger into turn signals as well since you can’t see the turn signals from the sides. I’m using new aftermarket lights that I’ve had powder coated. That’s handy since the bulb holders just pop out the back side. I’m looking to find a bulb that would work and also fit in the small space available. The 68 just has small round lights at each corner. The inside is 3/4 round and right about 3/4 deep. I’ve looked at a bunch of lights online but can’t find a site with reliable dimensions of each. I’d also need to be able to fit a bulb socket into the measurements of what I have. I figure the bulb socket can be epoxied into the light. The back section of the light can be unscrewed getting the bezel so I could still replace the bulb as needed. Also the bezels have colored lenses so the bulbs just need to be white. So far I’ve found that an LED 1157 bulb would be too big.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Check out the LED Switchback bulbs, I have them in my 69 camaro for my driving lights, they are white while driving and turn amber when the turn signal is activated
      I got them from www.octanelighting.com

Scott

Wow that super bright LED site is great. Thanks for posting it,
      Doug L.
      68 RS/SS Conv. LSA/T56.
      67 RS Coupe LS2/T56 named "NutKse"

Thanks for the leads! Octane has a lot of cool offerings I hadn’t seen before. Funny I bought some things getting super bright maybe 15 years ago and still get their emails but never knew they had bulbs like I’m hunting for. Best thing on their site for me is their clear dimensions for each bulb.

One thing I came across in my searches is that you should match the bulb color to the lenses color? Had not heard of that before. The stock bulbs in my marker lights are clear but I guess it can’t hurt to match
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Make sure when you do buy LED bulbs you get LED FLashers also.

Looking for an LED light to fit into side markers

Thanks all! Great note about being sure to have LED flashers. Just wanted to wrap up this thread with what I ended up doing. Bought a bunch of stuff from the super bright leds site. For the marker lights I wanted to retrofit, I got some of their 1142 bulbs and sockets to fit them. Their site was great in that it offered good dimensions of every offering and the bulbs fit great. All I needed to do was dole away two small half circles in my housings to allow the posts of the bulbs to pass though. Then the housing screws together and holds the bulb firmly. Only issue was that I assumed these bulbs offered two levels of light for running lights and turn signals combined. I based that off the two contact points on the base assuming they used the socket to ground it. Unfortunately these just have one light output level so I’ll have to see if I can come up with something else.

Steve

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com