Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Erratic Fuel Pressure with Sniper and Vaporworx

I'm wondering if I can install a fuel pressure dampener between the unused ports on a base Sniper throttle body (front of the tb). My thinking is that this would be like installing a dampener on a fuel rail in a MPFI system.

Here's the backstory. I installed a Sniper/Hyperspark system on a 535ci Pontiac. It's set-up to run returnless, with an in-tank ZL1 fuel module, vaporworx controller, and mostly 1/2" hardline. The car seems to run fine, I only noticed the fluctuations when I looked at the mechanical fuel pressure gauge (I verified the gauge). Carl suggested a Radium fuel pressure dampener. I installed one about 24" away from the throttle body (it's under the fuel pressure gauge in the photo). This cut down on the fuel pressure fluctuations, probably by half, but they are still there. I suspect I have to move the dampener closer to the throttle body, but space limited (drop base air cleaner to clear hood). Thoughts about plumbing the dampener to those unused ports (or any other suggested fixes)?Name:  IMG_5584.jpeg
Views: 225
Size:  242.7 KB

Same issue on an injected MERC 454 marine application with integrated duel fuel pressure regulators, one solely for the purpose of dampening injector pulses mounted on fuel rail. Ran perfectly fine just had to live with it as a by-product of build combo.

The issue I was having has been resolved with the help of Carl at vaporworx. What was happening is the Vaporworx controller was chasing pulses from the injectors that were being picked up by the fuel pressure sensor. I tried two fuel pressure dampers near/on the throttle body, moved the fuel pressure sensor around (located near the fuel tank), switched out the hard line for soft lines, and a few other things...but nothing helped. Carl then sent me everything I needed to switch the fuel system over to return style where pump speed is controlled by manifold pressure rather than the fuel pressure sensor. All I had to do is switch out the overpressure value in the ZL1 fuel module with a fixed pressure regulator that fit in the same spot (the return occurs in the tank so no additional line needed), mount a MAP sensor on my firewall and connect it to a vacuum port on the throttle body, and switch out a couple wires to the Vaporwork controller. Fuel pressure is now rock steady at 58psi. I kept one of the pulse dampers connected to a port on the throttle body, but not sure I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      The issue I was having has been resolved with the help of Carl at vaporworx. What was happening is the Vaporworx controller was chasing pulses from the injectors that were being picked up by the fuel pressure sensor. I tried two fuel pressure dampers near/on the throttle body, moved the fuel pressure sensor around (located near the fuel tank), switched out the hard line for soft lines, and a few other things...but nothing helped. Carl then sent me everything I needed to switch the fuel system over to return style where pump speed is controlled by manifold pressure rather than the fuel pressure regulator. All I had to do is switch out the overpressure value in the ZL1 fuel module with a fixed pressure regulator that fit in the same spot (the return occurs in the tank so no additional line needed), mount a MAP sensor on my firewall and connect it to a vacuum port on the throttle body, and switch out a couple wires to the Vaporwork controller. Fuel pressure is now rock steady at 58psi. I kept one of the pulse dampers connected to a port on the throttle body, but not sure I need it.
      I am glad that you got the fuel pressure issue resolved. If I can be of service with the tuning, please email me or send me a PM. Email: projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I am glad that you got the fuel pressure issue resolved. If I can be of service with the tuning, please email me or send me a PM. Email: projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      Thank you. I’ll reach out at some point. My son and I are doing another Pontiac, but this one will be LS powered with Terminator X, and we’ll need some help with that I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alponcho View Post
      Thank you. I’ll reach out at some point. My son and I are doing another Pontiac, but this one will be LS powered with Terminator X, and we’ll need some help with that I’m sure.
      If you get me involved before you get too deep into the project, I can help you get the most out of the Terminator X. Shoot me an email and let's discuss your project.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com