Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: pinion noise

Country Flag: Japan

pinion noise

I processed the tunnel and raised the engine and transmission. The pinion is above the transformer. "Is the angle correct?"

engine 1.5 ↓
      shaft 1.4↑
      pinion 0.8↑
      Name:  IMG_1155.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  385.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1095.JPG
Views: 291
Size:  480.9 KB

That looks ok to me. Your operating angles are 2.9 degrees and 2.2 degrees and the angles are opposing. I want to say 3 degrees of u-joint operating angle is the max recommended to avoid premature wear, but that shouldn’t vibrate as far as I can tell. I have right around 3 degrees of front operating angle on my car, and it’s nice and smooth.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by streetk14 View Post
      That looks ok to me. Your operating angles are 2.9 degrees and 2.2 degrees and the angles are opposing. I want to say 3 degrees of u-joint operating angle is the max recommended to avoid premature wear, but that shouldn’t vibrate as far as I can tell. I have right around 3 degrees of front operating angle on my car, and it’s nice and smooth.
      I think it would be nice to raise the transmission a little more. how is it?

Country Flag: United States
      I have experienced issues with the drive shaft sloping upward to the rear end. I would raise the trans tailshaft as high as possible. Ride height plays a big part in this. The lower the car, the higher the tunnel needs to be. On almost every build, I end up with the rear pinion close to 0 degrees (+/- .5). No amount of pinion adjustment on my builds was able to fully tune out general business( slight vibration) at highway speeds if the driveshaft slops up to the rear end. After raising the trans, it went away every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
      I think it would be nice to raise the transmission a little more. how is it?
      I feel like it should be fine as it is, but raising the trans higher would be beneficial I think. Ideally, you want the front operating angles equal and opposite, with 1/2 degree or so so the U-joints rotate.

I don’t think it really matters that the pinion is higher than the tail shaft as long as the operating angles are opposite — meaning the angle forms a “V” at one end and a “^” on the other end. This is just theory on my part since I personally haven’t dealt with it.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      I have experienced issues with the drive shaft sloping upward to the rear end. I would raise the trans tailshaft as high as possible. Ride height plays a big part in this. The lower the car, the higher the tunnel needs to be. On almost every build, I end up with the rear pinion close to 0 degrees (+/- .5). No amount of pinion adjustment on my builds was able to fully tune out general business( slight vibration) at highway speeds if the driveshaft slops up to the rear end. After raising the trans, it went away every time.
      Thank you.
      Name:  IMG_2169.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  394.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by streetk14 View Post
      I feel like it should be fine as it is, but raising the trans higher would be beneficial I think. Ideally, you want the front operating angles equal and opposite, with 1/2 degree or so so the U-joints rotate.

I don’t think it really matters that the pinion is higher than the tail shaft as long as the operating angles are opposite — meaning the angle forms a “V” at one end and a “^” on the other end. This is just theory on my part since I personally haven’t dealt with it.

Thank you.
      Name:  IMG_2170.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  163.6 KB

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Shotaro View Post
      Thank you.
      Name:  IMG_2170.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  163.6 KB
      Shotaro, yours is a very timely post as I’m just beginning to work thru my driveline angles on my ‘72 TransAm after installing a Tremic T-56 Magnum. Really appreciate all the responses & feedback. The TransAm is a challenge due to everything that’s got to stack on top of the motor & flush out exactly with the underside of the shaker opening!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamikazi View Post
      Shotaro, yours is a very timely post as I’m just beginning to work thru my driveline angles on my ‘72 TransAm after installing a Tremic T-56 Magnum. Really appreciate all the responses & feedback. The TransAm is a challenge due to everything that’s got to stack on top of the motor & flush out exactly with the underside of the shaker opening!
      The Trans Am has a shaker, so you may have a hard time adjusting the angle. 4 link suspension?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com