Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Cantilever Coilover Pivot point

I'm Building a rear cantilever coilover setup and I've ran into issue with selecting a material for the main frame pivot point on the rocker and could use some suggestions. Originally I was going to use a poly bushing but I wanted something more rigid so the other options I was thinking are: Any input or thoughts would be great thanks!
      -Solid aluminum insert
      -Delrin bushing with sleeve
      -2 Sealed ball bearings

Country Flag: United States
      Either Delrin or Oillite bushings.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Ball bearings aren’t the best option since they will barely ever move. They load rating is half when they are static and the load essentially on one or two tiny spots of the races would quickly wear down.

I used bronze bushings with shoulder screws for my cantilever setup. Check out McMaster Carr if you need a source. Mine came out really well with no detectable slop. We will have to see how it lives when I start getting miles on the car but I don’t expect any issues from it.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Bronze is a good way to go, but check the different ones, as mentioned, McMaster Carr is a good source, pay attention to the load ratings, the bigger the diameter of the friction pin the greater the load carting capacity, you can simply take your spring rate and multiply it by the spring travel and I would get a bearing that could support 2-2.5X that working load, a bigger diameter will also have less stiction.

https://www.protouringf-body.com "doing what they say can't be done"

I really debated going with a Bronze bushing, But the design I came up Delrin was a better fit I think.
      Name:  Rocker.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  55.3 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com