Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Paint Jail...how long is too long?

I'm sure many of us have experienced and dealt with paint jail, congrats to those that never have!
      So I live in WV, not a plethora of reputable paint/body guys that will work on old stuff, but there are some. My car is with a wonderfully talented paint guy that has put out some amazing car. That said, April will be 3 years that he has my car. This was not a frame off job. It was all new front sheetmetal, new 1/4s, and a couple of very small time consuming changes.
      Original completion time was 12-14 months which was fine, yet here I am climbing on 30 mos. I have seen projects come and go since delivering mine. Dozens of insurance jobs, which I get to an extent, but youre either a restoration shop or youre a insurance body shop!
      Final paint of everything was in May, and the car has yet to be assembled.
      Money is square, even tho the price has gone up slightly...imagine that!! And my first notion of his timeline a couple months ago, the guy comes unhinged and suggests I just come get the car, which I KNEW would be his response. Hence, my patience past that 12-14 month original timeline.
      Last thing I want to do is pick my car up in pieces, and find someone else to finish another persons work.

How have yall handled situations like this? Patience? It is what it is? Get it, find someone else?

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. It's easy for me to say because it's not my car but 3 years and still not assembled is ridiculous. Most places will definitely do insurance work first. Patience goes out the window after 3 years and its still not close. Shouldn't of taken on the job if he couldn't finish it in a timely manor. The first person that got mad at me for asking about a time line my car would be out of there. I know because I took mine out of a shop that wasn't working on it. You say your square on money so have u already paid him? That could be why he's not working on it. It definitely sucks being in that situation but sounds like he doesn't care and u really don't want someone working on your car that doesn't care. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by thumper877 View Post
      Sorry to hear about all your troubles. It's easy for me to say because it's not my car but 3 years and still not assembled is ridiculous. Most places will definitely do insurance work first. Patience goes out the window after 3 years and it’s still not close. Shouldn't of taken on the job if he couldn't finish it in a timely manor. The first person that got mad at me for asking about a time line my car would be out of there. I know because I took mine out of a shop that wasn't working on it. You say your square on money so have u already paid him? That could be why he's not working on it. It definitely sucks being in that situation but sounds like he doesn't care and u really don't want someone working on your car that doesn't care. Good luck
      Thanks for chiming in. Def frustrated, but kinda bt a rock and hard place with limited to no options to have someone finish it. Talked to one guy I’d trust and he even recommended I leave it where it is to have current guy finish.
      as far as money, has been done in draws. I’ve paid him so much up front, then in draws as he’s needed it for time worked. As of now, I feel more money has been given than work performed based on timeline.
      Attached Images Attached Images            

I'm curious why you feel someone else has to finish it? If its just putting it back together, it isn't that difficult to do. Takes some time, and you'll want to be careful with the new paint, but it is very doable at home. If he still needs to cut and buff the paint, that's a bit more tricky, as you could burn through the paint if you mess up, but it is still doable at home.

Three years is entirely too much time for a paint job, even with a good amount of body work. The guy lashing out when you ask for a timeline is a huge red flag, and the longer it sits there, the more likely it is to never get put back together. I've seen shops go out of business with people's car or money in hand and its always a battle to recover anything. Asking for a timeline is not an unreasonable request, especially when you're well past the quoted completion time.

Me personally, I'd be showing up with a truck and trailer to get my car out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by Olds.PhD View Post
      I'm curious why you feel someone else has to finish it? If its just putting it back together, it isn't that difficult to do. Takes some time, and you'll want to be careful with the new paint, but it is very doable at home. If he still needs to cut and buff the paint, that's a bit more tricky, as you could burn through the paint if you mess up, but it is still doable at home.

Three years is entirely too much time for a paint job, even with a good amount of body work. The guy lashing out when you ask for a timeline is a huge red flag, and the longer it sits there, the more likely it is to never get put back together. I've seen shops go out of business with people's car or money in hand and its always a battle to recover anything. Asking for a timeline is not an unreasonable request, especially when you're well past the quoted completion time.

Me personally, I'd be showing up with a truck and trailer to get my car out of there.
      Agree, its entirely too long for this. I would put it back together, but there are still parts yet to be painted. Inner fenders, radiator support, etc., not to mention trim, window trim, and rear bumper (going black). Which that isn't a big deal, anyone could do that.
      I do not particularly want to pick up, haul, and reassemble, seems destined to get damaged. Plus, final cut and buff needs done as well.
      The original deal was to reinstall all glass, window assembly, trim, and RS grill. I will be doing that, as I just want the sheetmetal installed and get the damn thing.

There is not enough money in it for him to finish it. He wants you to pull the car, that’s why he put on a little show for you.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I'd pick it up.

I personally dont have the patience to wait that long. With the shop being paid in full, they dont want to put in additional production hours to finish the job. It sucks, but it would be a huge stress relief. I can only imagine a few sleepless nights.

Get it finished the rest of the way yourself.. Too many times "We" in our hobby grow old waiting to drive our projects.
      Bill

75 Chevelle Malibu
      Garage Build
      Instagram @BK75

I would go and get the car. If the body shop guy is OK with it maybe one of their workers could do the cut and buff along with reassembly in your shop after hours?
      I can tell you no one at the body shop is standing in line to do wet sanding and buffing. Along with reassembly. That is all straight time work. Many shop workers can make much better money doing insurance work. But after hours work with no taxes or deductions may make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      There is not enough money in it for him to finish it. He wants you to pull the car, that’s why he put on a little show for you.

Don
      Thats a damn good take, and not one I had thought of.

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      I would go and get the car. If the body shop guy is OK with it maybe one of their workers could do the cut and buff along with reassembly in your shop after hours?
      I can tell you no one at the body shop is standing in line to do wet sanding and buffing. Along with reassembly. That is all straight time work. Many shop workers can make much better money doing insurance work. But after hours work with no taxes or deductions may make sense.
      One man show, with a part time helper, so that's not an option.

I agree with Don. This guy has already skimmed the gravy off that job and now he's hoping you'll come get it so he won't have to do the tedious time consuming things. Have you paid him for what he's done so far? Do you still him the money to finish? Not being nosy just saying if he wants more money up front I'd tell him to show me some work and we'll talk.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by minendrews68 View Post
      I agree with Don. This guy has already skimmed the gravy off that job and now he's hoping you'll come get it so he won't have to do the tedious time consuming things. Have you paid him for what he's done so far? Do you still him the money to finish? Not being nosy just saying if he wants more money up front I'd tell him to show me some work and we'll talk.
      That's where we are. Job has not been paid for in full, and I would never hand someone that kind of money up front. He has been paid for what work has been done at time of completion in installments basically as he's requested payments, and I told him I would pay him in full once the car is finished. He has 85% of the money quoted for the job. Money is not an issue with me, I have been blessed with my career, so he cannot use that excuse.

I would be chapped to see my fresh painted panels sitting out in the shop covered in dust.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I would be chapped to see my fresh painted panels sitting out in the shop covered in dust.

Don
      Oh, I was. He brushed it off and said it needs cut and buffed anyway so no biggy. TBH, entire cab was covered like that prior to cut and buff on it.

Congratulations, you are almost paroled from paint jail.
      The paint looks great, if it were mine, I would take it home in pieces, and carefully reassemble.
      The shop can do the Final Cut and buff after assembly, and touch-up any minor scrapes if there were any.
      I am assuming the paint was finished week(s) ago, so it should be ok to move around with comforters. The doors could use a bit of separating them from the lighter parts.
      I am assuming they did fit the fenders, doors, and nose before disassembly, if not, expect a bit of finessing, starting with the doors, radiator core, nose, inner/outer fenders. Use lots of paint tape to protect edges, etc.
      The rear side windows are a PITA, take you time, add some soundproofing in the cabin since it’s east now.
      You can pat yourself on the back for the achievement, as nobody else will do it as careful.
      Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

The colour looks great. I am sure the finished car will be worth the wait!

Sorry to hear, this is my biggest fear when taking the car to a shop. I'm curious, what is the paint color? It's almost exactly what's on my car and I can't find the paint code for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCSU68 View Post
      The colour looks great. I am sure the finished car will be worth the wait!
      Thanks, and I hope!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCrucible View Post
      Sorry to hear, this is my biggest fear when taking the car to a shop. I'm curious, what is the paint color? It's almost exactly what's on my car and I can't find the paint code for it.
      Not sure the paint code, but it's Jaguar Caesium blue.

I f it was my car I would have picked it up a long time ago and as far as the shop goes and the owner and I was in my 30s I would be having a long chat with the man out side his shop ending with a good beat down and followed by bashing his shop for ever .

Your mistake was paying up front, no motivation now.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
      Your mistake was paying up front, no motivation now.
      I didn't pay up front, stated that, I have paid him installments as work has been done.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com