Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

T56 Magnum Shifter

Hey guys; What is everyone using for the t56 shifter? My magnum has the infamous shifter leak due to the lower shifter seal being torn. I'm looking at the Tick Performance unit which looks to be built a little different and is one of the cheaper units out there. Anyone using it or have any recommendations?

I used the Black Jack shifter from Hurst and really liked it, however it also leaked. When I tore it apart there was some sort of glue or something between the base and the shifter. After I cleaned it off It sealed up nicely. I think another option that a lot of folks are using is the one by Bowler called the nightstick. I think that has a seal or something internally that is supposed to completely fix the issue.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

i'll take a look into the Bowler unit. How long did you have the Black Jack shifter?

I had it for a year on my Camaro before I sold the car. It was an amazing upgrade over the stock shifter I will say that. Throws were way shorter and I felt like it was more precise.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Good deal. I was looking at the Bowler Nightstick but opted to go for the Tick Performance unit. Bowlers website didn't mention anything about being short throw and they have a composite ball on the shift stub vs Ticks ball bearing grade pivot ball. Not sure how I feel about that. Pretty much the only thing Bowler did was eliminate the shifter leakage, which is great and my main concern, but the price point vs performance needs to be revisited in my opinon. The Tick shifter is rebuildable, comes with lifetime warranty, fixes the leak, and offers throw reduction for a little over half the cost of the Nightstick. Only thing i'm skeptical about is if the o-ring seal dries out. I may just add a small bead of rtv just to be on the safe side.

I have a Blackjack shifter and while I find the shifting fine , yes it does leak. I need to reach out to Holley to see what they say, but I need something that doesn't leak. I drive on the track regularly and an oil leak is unacceptable.

I am very happy with all of my other Holley equipment. Will let you know how this resolves.

Cheers, Brew
      1969 Camaro (Small Tyre Restomod/mild Protour) 245/40/18 F, 275/35/18 R, stock frame, full Ridetech suspension, LS engine, T56 Mag, Wilwood Brakes. A driver car.

White lighten shifter has been great. No leaks and quick shifts

I'm on my third Tremec shifter, two modified to try and reduce boot failures. They are terribly designed.

Had a White Lighting (circa 2015). It too leaked badly and ruined the carpet.

The Bowler shifter is similar to the Viper design that uses a spherical ball with a grooved seal. The Tremec and WL use a boot. The boots, especially the bottom that keeps oil out, fail miserably.

It appears the Tick design may be a similar spherical ball design with no lower boot. It looks promising.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Ok guys, It's on the way! I'll try to remember to report back with my results. It may be a few weeks as I am in the finishing weeks of this semester and have to get ready for the upcoming finals and the holiday. Beyond excited to see the results!

Shifter showed up today so I took a few minutes to introduce it to its new home. Indeed, it seems promising. The o-ring was smaller than I was anticipating, so I applied some rtv as well. I've never owned a short throw shifter so I took it through the gears once I got it mounted. I must say, putting that thing into reverse is going to take some effort. Almost concerning actually. So, is that a side effect of reducing the throw? I imagine it would be...

***UPDATE ON THIS***

The reverse lockout solenoid was not hooked up. Functions as it should now.

Any opinion on the bronze isolator cup for the tick shifter? Is it only necessary with a used shifter replacement?
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

I'm not sure if its required. I opted to reuse the original. I dont know if they fail often but mine looked great so i reused it.

I did some reading on it. The bronze replaces the factory plastic & gives a more positive feel when shifting. I added it to my order for $20.

Btw Tick has shifters on sale for the holidays.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

are the plastic cups prone to breaking? are they actually plastic or some sort of nylon/kevlar/composite material?

Has anyone used the silver sport transmission shifter? I shifted it on a display trans on power tour, but curious about leaks

Quote Originally Posted by robbbc View Post
      are the plastic cups prone to breaking? are they actually plastic or some sort of nylon/kevlar/composite material?

that’s what I read. The wear & get sloppy. I figured I’ll be there so get it over with for $20.
      69 Camaro
      Art Morrison C6 Subframe
      Art Morrison Tri-4 link

never tried the silversport but was going to be my next research topic until i came across the tick shifter.

replaced my clutch this weekend and noticed some oil on the shifter

Quote Originally Posted by icemanrd19 View Post
      White lighten shifter has been great. No leaks and quick shifts

Thanks for the update icemanrd19.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      Has anyone used the silver sport transmission shifter? I shifted it on a display trans on power tour, but curious about leaks
      I have one. Love the way it shifts. So far, no issues with leaking, but I don't have a ton of miles on it. Less than 1000 at the moment. So not much help on that front.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com