Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Electrical problem

I have a LS3 with a GM performance ecm and harness.

This things been driven quite a bit and was turbocharged but we recently took all of the turbo stuff off, and when I was hooking the battery back up (red top optima) getting ready to pull it out of the shop, I hooked up the cables backwards and it threw sparks,I quickly disconnected them and I put them back in the right place and it started up.

This new problem I’m about to explain didn’t happen until I got it back from a shop. When I turn the key and hold it, the starter cranks then acts like it loses power, then cranks again and starts right up. Any suggestions on where to start looking?

Country Flag: United States
      I would say to check the connections at the starter and make sure you have good ground straps going from the engine to the frame / battery. Might have lost some return path when you removed the turbo setup and it was forgotten?
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      I would say to check the connections at the starter and make sure you have good ground straps going from the engine to the frame / battery. Might have lost some return path when you removed the turbo setup and it was forgotten?
      Last night I checked the starter connections and they seemed fine. Nothing was loose. As for the turbo stuff when I pulled all of the stuff off I completely removed all of the wiring and I checked last night and nothing as left undone.

Is it possible I messed up the battery? Or the starter? Or could this be another problem (ECU etc)

I fully charged the battery and checked it again and it still did it. Thank you for the reply! Trying to fix this myself before I go drop more money!

Country Flag: United States
      I would take the battery to a parts store and have them load test it after you have it fully charged. Fully charged you should be around 12.75 volts after you take it off a charger and let it sit for an hour or so.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com