Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ford remote starter solenoid

Hello everyone!

Odd question, but I am doing a battery relocation to trunk of a project car. I’m using a remote starter solenoid for safety reasons. I was reading the instructions for it and I learned that the case of the solenoid is the ground. This is an issue because I would like to mount it to my plastic battery box. Is there any issue running ground straps from the mounting holes (part of the case) to the frame and the battery? Thank you.

Should be fine
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

The solenoid is just a high current relay. The return current for it will be low, you don't need to have a strap or low gauge wire, just something like 16ga will do.

If concerned about it, mount the solenoid, wire it up, but leave ground off. Put an ammeter between the case of the solenoid and ground, that will tell you how much current the solenoid will draw when turned on, shouldn't see more than 1-2 amps tops.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Sweet! Thank you guys. This will make my life a lot easier. I’m trying to make its accessible/ unseen/ and most of all, reliable.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com