Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: 200R4 or 700R4?

200R4 or 700R4?

Which is the better transmission? I’ve heard that the 200R is basically a turbo 350 with and overdrive and the 700R is a 400 turbo with an overdrive, true?

The 700-r4 is sorta like a turbo 350 with a 4th overdrive gear added. Also called a "4L60E" when it's electronic.

The 200-4r (not r4) is another 4spd overdrive but it's a different deal. Smaller case, different gear ratios, etc.

The 700-r4 can be beefed up with money (almost anything can) but it's basically a mediocre item. A stock one is good enough to use in street cars, but high-performance use will break it.

The 200 is weak from the factory but it responds very well to aftermarket work. I've heard it argued that if you were gonna spend several thousand bucks on either one, the 200 would be the better end result even though it's probably weaker to begin with.

If you want a 4spd overdrive version of of an old turbo-400, that's the 4L80 series. It's a whole notch bigger (and heavier) than any of these others.

Country Flag: United States
      There's also some trade offs on the gear ratios...

The gear spread in the 200 is probably a little better.

The 700 has steeper first gear, so you'd get a little more punch off the line, but you have that huge drop to 2nd gear.

The 200 has a numerically lower overdrive gear, so you'd get a lower cruising rpm.

TH700R4 + 3.42 is a pretty popular combination (which is what I'm running).

But what could be better option would be TH2004R + 3.73. You maintain the punch off the line, but also cruise on the highway at a similar rpm and get the better gear spread too.
      1971 Camaro
      GM HT383, MiniRam EFI, AFR heads
      "8-speed" trans (700R4 + Gear Vendors OD)

I was never happy with the shift quality of my TCI-built 200-4R. I believe those were built to 450ish HP. From what I've gleaned here and there from people who've bought other builds, the shift quality is the same on theirs. Which is to say hard as hell. If, at the lightest possible throttle you were capable of, you managed to keep it from barking the tires going from 1st to 2nd, it'd still give you whiplash. Most of the time, it barked the tires. Holds up to the power, just wasn't fun to try to drive normal. So definitely ask around for whoever builds yours about shift quality.

That said, I've had cars with the stock 700-R4 and that steep drop from 1st to 2nd is noticeable. Between the two, I'd go 200-4R.

But if I were to go automatic again, I'd be doing a TH400 with a gear vendors or a 4L80E.

Best of luck.

Good information guys. I’m running a 700R4 behind a mild SBC with a 12 bolt 3.73 and I’m happy with it but I should’ve gone with the 3.42-3.55 as it is a little high in the RPMs at high cruising speeds but I’m not changing it.

The 700 1-2 drop is awful. It requires a high numerical rear end gear otherwise the engine will fall on its face. I had a 11-1 C/R 350 cammed '51 Stude with a 3.73 rear gears and the car was great, but I could imagine a lower rear end and it would be pants. You have to rev the nuts off the engine to overcome the drop to 2nd. You know you're leaving a lot of performance on the table with those ratios, although general driving is fine.

I would either get beefed up 200 (closer ratios), or a 4L80. Depends on what you're doing though?

Name:  IMG_2501.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  368.3 KB

At one time I went through the same decision and went with the 200 due to the more desirable 1-2 gear ratios.

The unit I installed had all the billet internals and ran around a 3K rpm stall with 3.73 gears. Getting the TV cable set correctly is key. You can severely damage the transmission if you don't do it properly.

Country Flag: Canada
      I went with 200-4r Stage II from Lonnie Diers @Extreme Automatics Transmission. In a 56 Chev behind a sbc, 3.89:1 locker and Cal-Tracs.
      Highly recommend, look at TurboBuick.com to find a reputable builder from there, there is probably one near you.
      For me, better than the 700.
      Good Luck

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com