Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

BB Cooling Issue Solved

I recently went thru a bunch of upgrades on my 69 BB camaro and had a cooling problem. I think the multiple issues, but was further complicated when I finished the AC installation. A few months back I switched to a griffin CU-0009 radiator with dual 11" fans. I did not drive the car much so limited data. Flash forward, completed the CAA AC conversion in mid-summer here in PA, and immediately had OH issues. The solve was a couple parts, so I thought I would share.

Immediately after the install, my sniper started complaining and car would not return to idle...also the voltage was dropping at certain times based on the hand held. Again multiple steps to solve, would have been better to do each one individually and see the result, but... I installed a 150 amp alternator to replace my 10SI....Fixed voltage. I installed a 160 HF thermostat and high volume water pump. Previously had been using a 180 and the WP was 25 years old..so no big deal...Then I called griffin and upgraded the fans to their PF-03 which flowed about 1.5x of the ones that came in radiator kit....I have the sniper controlling the fans, and when airs on, fan one is triggered.....when air is off, fan 1 180, fan 2 190....Happy to say in 99 heat with air on full 192 is the max temperature, so no more issues.

I think the fans and the new AC were killing the voltage, which drove the sniper crazy and the original fans probably were doing all they could at less than 12.5V. The under hood temps were also impacting the sniper....With the new altenator- new fans are fine, voltage is fine, and the under hood temps are down so the sniper is happy. The WP probably helped some and probably needed to be replaced anyway, so no big deal.

IT makes sense that the fans and the spal ACC unit pushed the old altenater over the edge.....so the 150 upgrade was necessary... The sniper fuel pump and ecu are also a drain, along with the led headlights and relay conversion i did, so it had been a long time coming.

JR

Good post. Thanks for the info.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Is the new radiator cross flow? If not having just one fan on could be causing you problems. If you don't know, look to see if the cooling tubes are vertical or horizontal. If vertical, one fan running is only cooling half the coolant that's flowing from top to bottom, like having half your radiator covered.

If they're vertical I'd highly suggest you wire the fans in a series/parallel configuration like LT1/LS f-bodies. They run the fans on low in series. Both fans are sharing the 12 volts so they're running half speed at 6v each. They pull a lot of air but you won't be able to hear them over the engine. When high kicks in the fans go parallel and each gets 12 volts.

Video I did for another thread discussing the same thing, garage doors were closed and it was dead quiet when I filmed this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13WU...w?usp=drivesdk

You can search for ls1 Camaro fan wiring diagram, this is the same schematic I use to wire them up. Takes 3 30 amp accessory relays:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/ltx-...ml#post4794166
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

can any fans be wired to run parallel low / high or are fans specific to low / high speed compatible?

If they are the same make and mfg they can be wired series/parallel with no problem. Basically don't try wiring a 6" trans cooler and 16"rad fan together..

*Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Quote Originally Posted by MAGONSTERZ68 View Post
      can any fans be wired to run parallel low / high or are fans specific to low / high speed compatible?
      I have my twin Spal 11 inch fans wired this way and they work perfect.
      Tim

67 Camaro RS

64 Nova SS

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com