Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LSA E85 fuel line size

Hiya. Hoping to get some insight on sizing my fuel supply line. Here are the details:

6.0 LSA. Not sure on boost psi yet as it in the build stage but will have a 2.44 upper and stock dampener

Restomod tank with the dual CTS-V module and deutchworks pumps. Powered by the corresponding vapor worx controller (return less system)

Not sure in injectors yet. I’ll need to size them appropriately

Planning to run a flex fuel tune, so need to be able to supply 91 pump gas and E85. I’m thinking 3/8” supply should be good enough. Hoping to get some feedback.

Thanks

If you have two pumps, I would run them into a single 1/2" line to the front and then split them off again into their respective fuel rails.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

1/2"
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Thanks guys. Kinda what I was wondering (and afraid of). Should be fun bending up some 1/2”. May end up using hose to makeup the bends. We’ll see…

Any hose used with E85 has to have a PTFE inner lining. You'll be limited on how tight you can bend it.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Good point, thanks. The idea was to utilize angled fittings for the bends and keep the hose bending to a minimum. I do see 1/2” NiCop tubing and it appears to be ethanol safe. That might be the ticket!

Two pumps feed into a -6an into a y block. Exit out into a 1/2”. Now you can use -8 or -10 hose if need be instead but I went with 1/2” stainless which was a pain but well worth it.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/sccf6703

I do like the idea of a pre bent line. Even if it takes minor tweaking, it still seem worth it. Only issue for me is this frame is boxed with a hellwig framefx kit, so I think I’d have more than just some minor tweaking to do.

Sounds like 1/2” is the way to go and I’ll need to bend my own line. I’m tempted to give SS a shot, but the grown up in me feels I should play it safe with nicop…

There are plenty of guys out there making 700-800 HP on stock 3/8" lines in CTSV's. What kind of power are you looking to make on e85?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Honestly I’d be happy with 7-800. If that’s the case I’d rather KISS. 3/8 would likely be easier to work with

My Camaro had a 6.2 with LSA, Summit Ghost cam, shorty 1 3/4" headers, 2.5" upper pulley w/ stock lower CTSV and made 633rwhp. That was on 93 pump gas with a CTS-V fuel pump assembly, upgraded AEM 320lph pumps and vaporworx module that ramped boost as MAP pressure rose. I have the data logs from the Dyno session, but I don't recall the duty cycle of the injectors getting higher than mid 70's. I had 830cc injectors from 5.0 Motorsports. I installed a flex fuel sensor with the intentions of running e85, but unfortunately there weren't many gas stations near me that carried it. I think I would have needed to upgrade to 1000cc injectors if I wanted to run full e85 due to the larger volume requirements.

Sounds like our builds are pretty similar. Another issue that you will run into if you go with a 1/2" line is that I don't believe there is any flex fuel sensors that work with that size. I ran mine inline and up close to the fuel rail. I also used full nylon fuel lines from the fuel pump all the way to the rails. Lots of benefits to Nylon lines; compatible with e85, easy to press fittings, flexible, inexpensive, and has a "stock" appearance.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Thanks for that insight. Build do sound similar indeed. Hadn’t even considered running nylon line to be honest. I think that would make things a lot easier as far as routing.

In most cases AN6 lines are sufficient up to about 800FWHP gasoline or e85 if minimal low-restriction fittings are used. Have a look here where I take apart a TI Automotive fuel pump that has a 1/8" hole for the outlet size. Granted it's a short distance: https://youtu.be/7Jyo8AcH7wg

From a practical standpoint, the CTS-V2 with DW300 or AEM pumps is going to max out at 700RWHP e85.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Thank you Carl. I was hoping you’d chime in. Sounds like I should be good to go with 3/8” (-6 AN). Honestly, if I get anywhere near those numbers I’d be happy stopping there even if the supply line size becomes the bottleneck.

6.3L LS6, 9.5psi boost, Lingenfelter GT2-3 Camshaft, fully ported WCCH heads, etc....

3/8" flex line to 3/8" hard line to 3/8" flex line to engine. Altogether there are 11 or so interfaces from the pump outlet to the fuel rail.

Data-log with one fuel pressure sensor at the outlet of the pump and another in the fuel rail. At max fuel demand there is a 2.2psi pressure loss. That's pretty small.

From a practical view, AFR changes with the SQRT% of the fuel pressure delta. SQRT(2.2) = 1.48%. That takes a target 12.5:1AFR to 12.68. That's pretty hard to measure accurately and repeatedly with standard commercial grade O2 sensors.

The only fuel hose used on the car is Goodridge. The stuff is so silly nice to use that it make installation a breeze, and it can be tied in a knot before kinking. It's not for the faint of wallet though. Pegasus Racing has it.

Pretty good rule of thumb for gasoline or E85 in high pressure EFI systems:
      Up to 800FWHP = AN6
      Up to 1200FWHP = AN8
      Over 1200RWHP = AN10.

There's no drawback to using a larger line except that it's harder to fit and drains the wallet in an exponential manner.
      Last edited by CarlC; 10-05-2022 at 08:58 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Good stuff, thanks! I definitely need to look into that hose.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com