Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Mustang LS Swap Prep

G'day crew,

I've been umming and ahhing about doing an LS swap into my 67 coupe for a few years now and finally have some spare time and funds to start the process.

What I don't have at the moment is a garage to actually do a swap (working on that - either renting a space or buying something), the ability to do any cutting, welding or grinding, so I've come up with the next best thing.

Found an Australian company called "Castlemain Rod Shop" that produce a set of swap mount for XP Fords - the XP being the equivalent of a 65 Falcon (I believe).

I spoke with the Rod Shop and they would neither confirm nor deny that the mounts may or may not fit into the 67, so I took a gamble and ordered a set.

On first check and fitment, they were a little tight, so I linished them and did some very quick measurements to see where they would place the LS block.

Things were looking "okay'.

Next step was to order a plastic LS block so I could get a better understanding of how things may sit. Things once again started to look "okay".

Did some more rough measurements and head scratching, and started looking for a few other parts that would be necessary if I were to take the next step.

I figured If I could find what I needed for a reasonable price, I'd pick them up if I found them.

Managed to pick up a TCP manual steering rack for $500, a GTO sump for about $150, and some dynacorn sheet metal for a good price.

From there went to Super Cheap Auto (our version of Pep Boys) got an engine stand, and this is where I'm at
      Name:  21BDB760-8296-4951-9C9D-6D65BCD99DD6.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  470.2 KBName:  67F15D33-593D-48A1-8608-04BA3782765F.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  450.7 KBName:  AF7EBD3F-EEDE-4B7D-8275-E363D959E97B.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  614.2 KB

Name:  16121DEE-130C-4969-AA57-C6554A06827D.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  260.9 KBName:  D1609DD4-9456-4D2A-9E5F-CB8E954FE285.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  249.3 KBName:  DA93D1F1-845A-48AB-9883-E00C42719AB0.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  261.4 KB

- - - Updated - - -

I feel as though I'm still a very long way off really knowing if this is a viable solution to be able to do a LS swap into a 67 Mustang using off the shelf parts, but at the moment, its "eyeballing" up pretty good.

I think... I mean.. I could be way off here.

Open to all comments and questions lads.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also quickly point out that I do think Ill need to box in the top of the mounting bracket to add some strength and relocate the crush sleeve in the shock tower engine mount position to give me more strength / rigidity.

Country Flag: United States
      Looks good, but I'd not depend upon the plastic block as a guide for anything other than general fitment. This is hear-say, but I've heard that the measurements aren't quite right. When you get to the point of cutting and welding, get an actual LS block for that part.

I was going to get a plastic LS myself to do what you're doing, but after hearing complaints about the plastic block not being an exact match I instead picked up a high mileage takeout 4.8L for peanuts. Going to use it to make everything fit since I'm also not putting it into a GM product. As it was a running engine, I plan to use it to do all the fitment work as well as power the truck when it's going places like painting or anywhere else I must depend upon others to work on it. When everything's done that requires it to be out of my control I'll put the final engine in.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I'd not heard that, but I'll measure up the one I've got to cross reference.

To be honest this is still very early stages of looking if its even possible with what I've got. As I said, this is all totally do-able (plenty of forum members have executed this) but at this point in time I don't have the facilities to do any more than benchtop this.

No worries, when you're ready to do it it'll go. The thing about the plastic blocks not being exact isn't something I measured myself, but heard from two different builders I spoke to about my project. Both recommended against using one. I just took them at their word.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater

Those mounts look pretty good! Just eye balling, it looks like they place the engine about where I have mine in the 67 Cougar, which is exactly the same as your Mustang. Look at my build thread for engine placement comparison.

I would like to see a picture directly from the top, over the engine. Id like to see how the engine is positioned front to back.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Measurements coming today - dislocated my knee last week so haven't been able to get down to the car to cross reference.

@andrewb70 could I ask what angle / degree you have your LS at.

Sorry to hear about your knee.
      Just FYI but to the additional prep you will need is having some pretty thick skin when the Ford guys come around when you have your hood open and see the LS. There will be some haters. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 79 Camaro View Post
      Sorry to hear about your knee.
      Just FYI but to the additional prep you will need is having some pretty thick skin when the Ford guys come around when you have your hood open and see the LS. There will be some haters. LOL
      Thats ok though. when I had a ford in my ford, I would constantly get comments like: "I used to have a Camaro just like that". I guess if it's awesome, everyone just assumes it's a Camaro, so you might as well have an LS in it.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

The answer to anyone whining about having an LS in a Ford - "I wanted to start winning races for a change." It'll either end the discussion or cause a fight.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater

Luckily the guys I hang around with are more interested in performance as opposed to what's actually powering the vehicle. When I mentioned it to them it the initial response was "one turbo or two? Two looks way more symmetrical" It's nice to have friends / enablers like that.

So - made up a very basic jig to replicate the exact measurements between the 67 engine mounting points. Still need to do some work on the drivers side, but as it sits its looking very good.

Also, when it comes time the crush sleeves will be cut and welding in the appropriate places.

Going to order in some Holley swap manifolds to check the spacing between them and the shock towers, but I think we'll clear with no issues (running a TCP manual rack, so wont have to content with the steering box)
      Name:  Front.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  209.8 KB

Name:  Driver_Side.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  232.9 KB

Name:  Pass_Side.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  242.8 KB

I would like to see a picture directly from the top, over the engine. Id like to see how the engine is positioned front to back.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Name:  IMG_6065.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  443.1 KBName:  IMG_6066.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  468.1 KBName:  IMG_6067.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  265.7 KBName:  IMG_6068.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  209.7 KB

Red Passenger Side - 250mm from bolt hole to front of block
      Red Drivers Side - 290mm from bolt hole to rear of block

Green Passenger Side - 78mm from bolt hole to cylinder head
      Green Drivers Side - 75mm from bolt hole to cylinder head.Name:  over top.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  373.2 KB

Thank you so much. I'll compare that to my home made mounts and may swap if the dimensions are close enough. Appreciate the detail!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

No, thank you Andrew! Your build was my inspiration for planning the swap in the first place. Must've gone through your thread 5 times now taking notes etc.

Be great to see where the mock up compares to your install.

Still at this gents - been in the process of buying a new house with an actual garage, so should have something to show by the end of the month!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com