Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt
      Robert, that is pretty cool. Do you work for GM, or did you model all of that?
      Scot
      I don't work for GM, but the data came from GM thru SEMA.
      I just design truck accessories.

Robert Braga
      1969 Camaro LS2/T56 D1SC
      www.automotivedesigneng.com
      US Collision / Mortenson's Custom Touch / DPE Wheel / Tim Bruning / Columbia Parts Company

Country Flag: United States
      That is cool. Who do you work for & where are you located?

Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
      Not me...I just did a quick crude shape.

over @ lateral-g there's an artwork section where someone has excellent models of a SBC and a TKO. I wish I had an accurate SBC or even better BBC model.
      I believe he works for a SEMA approved shop. A shop that gets caught giving solid models to NON-SEMA approved shops you could loose acess to OEM data.

I have begged a few shops to give me models, swearing to GOD that I won't say were I got them from, No Luck, There is no way a smart shop is going to risk loosing acess to OEM data just to make me happy.

I work for a company that builds truck bodies, I have solid models of an E350 Van frame, and the brand new Cummins 07 emissions engines. If I gave those away my work would probably have to fire me to keep recieving that kind of data in the future.
      Free hostings of solid models!
      http://www.wrenchmonkey.com/Webpages/Solids/Solids.html
      92 Stealth Twin Turbo with 3.5L Engine swap
      www.wrenchmonkey.com
      Looking for my next project, maybe an AWD 71 Lemans????

Country Flag: Netherlands
      I've been working on a double a arm suspension (IRS) that I'm building

and a cantilever (???) shock setup...still messing about with either push or pull systems...haven't figured out what it'll be yet.

That's pretty cool.

Scot
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Hey Guys, Im new to this site and was just wandering through. Ive been looking for a 454 chevy big block file for Solidworks. A friend and I have been pondering designing our own race car for some time and with my access to Solidworks and a rapid prototyping machine, we're doing a virtual version. We have a good idea of where to go, but the main factor is the engine and designing from there (Have to design the chassis around the engine hanging off the left side). For a look at what were doing, you can check out www.oswegospeedway.com... the tradition long stemmed in the history of the track, we want to develop a better and more radical supermodified. Thanks for the help!

I use Pro E Wildfire 3.0 here at work as a machine designer. I also have Pro E WF 3.0 and Solidworks 2007 at home. I'd much rather do modeling in Pro E and any detail drawings in Solidworks. I don't have much free time to work on my own stuff but I have tons of ideas floating around in my head.
      Attached is a photo of a Ranger I'm working on with my own rim design.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbitt
      Hey Guys, Im new to this site and was just wandering through. Ive been looking for a 454 chevy big block file for Solidworks. A friend and I have been pondering designing our own race car for some time and with my access to Solidworks and a rapid prototyping machine, we're doing a virtual version. We have a good idea of where to go, but the main factor is the engine and designing from there (Have to design the chassis around the engine hanging off the left side). For a look at what were doing, you can check out www.oswegospeedway.com... the tradition long stemmed in the history of the track, we want to develop a better and more radical supermodified. Thanks for the help!

I think I have acess for a GM 8.1L Vortec model but I can not share copies of it because of legal requirements. I have been trying to get copies of other engines without any luck.

If you are building a race car I would buy a plastic replica engine and sell it on Ebay when you are done.

I could take a few
      www.wrenchmonkey.com

John, there isnt some way I could just get the basic "box" dimensions of it? Motor mounts, length, and the header bolt locations? Thats all I really need... just enough information to make a dummy shape like guy with the belts and pully system did... some point the future Id like to make it accurate to have a full model... but for now, I just need to get the cage and basic chassis designed... (and an aweful lot of suspension and drive line components). Thanks for the answer tho! Its greatly appreciated!

Inventor anyone???

Here's some basic stuff I made the other day... Round port Pontiac exhaust flange.. yumm

69 "GTO".. 18" custom ET wheels with 305 nittos/Dude built 464 Injun/round port heads/turbocharged-Single 88mm hybrid/316 stainless headers & exhaust/gunmetal gray/complete LS1 f-body brake swap/12 bolt/built 400 tranny/fiberglass street frontend etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbitt
      John, there isnt some way I could just get the basic "box" dimensions of it? Motor mounts, length, and the header bolt locations? Thats all I really need... just enough information to make a dummy shape like guy with the belts and pully system did... some point the future Id like to make it accurate to have a full model... but for now, I just need to get the cage and basic chassis designed... (and an aweful lot of suspension and drive line components). Thanks for the answer tho! Its greatly appreciated!
      If you are interested in the Vortec version I can probably put something together next week.

Anyone want to loan me a PAYR plastic replica engine so I can make a solid model of more traditional block
      www.wrenchmonkey.com

Is there a difference between the vortec version and the traditional blocks? Heck, I didnt realize that a 427 and 454 big block were the same on the outside... didnt help me find them any... but it was nice, lol.... Thanks for all of the help.

Blocks are the same, heads are different.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

If theyre the same, it works for me... I dont really need the detail, I just need the "pickup" points mostly. Just a dummy to put in my chassis file to design the mounts, and make sure theres enough room for it and the heads... Even with the heads all I need is the bolt hole locations for the headers so I can make sure I have room to route them (or make my own to go where I need them to). You guys have no idea how much thought has gone into it between me and a friend and to finally have the ability to make it more than a napkin sketch is a project Im anxious to tackel. Thanks for all of the help! Its greatly appreciated!

Blue Prints

Rabbitt,

I'll e-mail you big block blueprints later today!

--Eric
      --ET
      62 Nova Convertible
      62 Nova Coupe

On the heads, the only difference (I think) is the location of the intake bolt holes. Exhaust ports "may" be a little different. The LT1 uses the Vortec port design & the exhaust ports are .100" higher than normal SBC.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Thats neat to know, honestly, that doesnt even affect me... Im not a motor guy, never will be... so even if some day building this thing came to fruition, all I would have to do is make sure the motor fits... and press the loud pedal, lol... Thanks for all of the help guys! As this comes together Ill post updates!

Drawings Sent!

Hey Rabbitt,

Check your e-mail....... I just sent you block and head drawings!

--Eric
      --ET
      62 Nova Convertible
      62 Nova Coupe

I want it too. :-)
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Country Flag: Netherlands
      me three!! twinturbo @ home.nl

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com