Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Question on new Hydrastop system - Brakes won't release properly

I just finished up an LS swap and it included a new CPP Hydrastop system. PROBLEM! With the car shot off the pedal acts normal but when it's running the pedal doesn't want to fully release. If you reach down and pull on it you can get another 1/4" and things are fine. As mentioned, only when engine is running and there is pressure in the system. The power steering side of things works perfectly.
      Another note; I sucked the fluid out of the reservoir and with only about 20 minutes running time on this system the fluid is very dark...almost black.
      I'm sending the information to CPP and they are trying to help me figure it out but I thought I would reach out to the network here as well.
      Any feedback is much appreciated. Note: It's a brand new Jones Bros Racing 1200 psi pump, all new lines, new hydrastop but used Saginaw bow which I flushed prior to installing everything. Also, the filter is clean (no debris). Thank you!

How is the return line from the booster plumbed?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

The return line from the hydra-boost goes to a "T" , connected to a filter (CPP brand), that flows directly to the reservoir. The return from the Saginaw PS unit also returns to the same "T" fitting. These are all a -6AN size, but what I'm finding is the id of the hose is only about 1/4" id. The hose is a slightly smaller id than the fittings which are more like 5/16" id. I believe the smaller id hose (which was chosen for looks) is creating back pressure in the hydra-boost and not allowing the pedal to release as quickly as it should. I'm getting the return lines replaced with a larger hose tomorrow and see how that works. Thank you for your input on this.

Id would ask you where your tee is placed in the system? I have the same system in my car and when I replumbed all the hoses to clean up the engine compartment, I put the tee just off the steering box, so I only had 1 return line going back to the pump. My oil is brown too.
      Im running a CVF racing serpentine system and had to get another PS pump to clear the BB aluminum heads. Looking back I wish I could have found a pump with 2 return fittings, thinking that might aid in cooling the fluid.
      2 things maybe to consider is switching to synthetic fluid or adding a PS reservoir, so fluid can have time to cool.

Yep, if the T is in an incorrect place/orientation it will create a backpressure to the hydraulic assist unit. Had the same thing happen to mine. Ran the return for both back to the reservoir and all was good.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

As said above, if you have to, use a Y junction instead of a T but the best option is to run both returns to the reservoir for unrestricted flow.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Firth, thank you for all the feedback, it's much appreciated. As far as the "T" in the return both return lines go to the "T", then through a screen filter and then through a 90 to the reservoir. The reservoir is part of a Jones Bros. Racing pump and only has one return in it. I sure wish it had two.

A found another possible issue and that is it looks like the shaft through the firewall doesn't quite follow a straight line to the pedal arm. This kit came with swivel clevis on the end so it's not binding at the connection and hooked up easily, but when you push on the pedal it is certainly not a smooth feel. The pedal returns just fine until you start the engine, then it wants to hold brake pressure. I'm still kind of lost on this other than throwing parts at it and hoping something sticks.

Undo the return from the boost unit, plug off the T, put the return in a bucket. Start the car and see if the pedal exhibits the same behavior, if so, we're wrong. Simple and free test. You will only get return fluid when the brakes are pressed out of that return line.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

That ^^^^

If the pedal still hangs up, it is leaking internally at the spool valve and CPP needs to replace that unit for you.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

So it appears that the main thing was the pushrod not connecting straight to the pedal arm. I read that in a 69 Camaro the lower hole on the pedal arm is for power brakes and the upper hole is for manual brakes. Due to the pushrod having a pivoting clevis on the end I connected it to the lower hole but was wrong. I had to remove the pin in the upper hole that the return spring is connected to and connect the clevis pin on the pushrod.
      The hydra-boost mounts at 5 degrees where vacuum boost systems (like factory) mount at closer to 17 degrees and allows the pushrod to connect to the lower hole and still maintain a straight line. Anyway, my fault for not knowing better. Thanks to everyone who gave their input. Much appreciated!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com