Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Stiffening factory '67 C10 frame rails

Hey guys.

I'm going to pull the current 383/700r4 and use my TSP LS7 (because the camaro project is dragging too long so may as well "borrow" it) and a built 6l80/l90. I am currently on ridetech coilovers and sway bars front and rear. I have several of the "bolt in" tubular cross members. There is a TON of flex in the frame though.

I can't afford to go full bore and do full chassis, yet, so need to work with my factory rails to get me by. From what I understand, it is wise to not weld on the rails if possible so that eliminates me boxing in the rails unless bolted in.

That leaves me with basically 3 options:
      Nate at porterbuilt is awesome and extremely helpful, but 50% higher than the other version (now on summit) I was originally looking at
      $1500: https://pbfab.com/inner-frame-stiffe...-boxed-1-piece

I have no experience with Tin Works but they look nice
      $1400: https://tinworksfabrication.com/prod...ame-stiffener/

Unit offered at summit:
      $1000: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-770820

Have any of you used these, and will this eliminate most of my flex or will I still need to do more? if so, where else on the frame should be addressed?

Thanks in advance.

Do any of them allow you to push the rear wheels back? I know the normal pb crossmember allows you to position it more rearward, if you are not running adjustable length trailing arms then I would want to know that. Other than that I am following along as I’d like to hear opinions as well. These frames have a ton on flex.

what is wrong with welding on the rails? I just had my 64 a-body frame boxed in with an HPI kit and I cant imagine the rails of a a-body being much different than frame rails from a truck. The summit kit is just a rebranded HPI kit.

Country Flag: Australia
      I have the Porterbuilt in my 72, great upgrade. Personally I don’t think the Summit unit looks anywhere as strong.
      Roger Andrews

68 Camaro Convertible LS1 6 speed
      72 C10 Stepside 350 4L60e - oldskool
      71 K5 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by CSG View Post
      Do any of them allow you to push the rear wheels back? I know the normal pb crossmember allows you to position it more rearward, if you are not running adjustable length trailing arms then I would want to know that. Other than that I am following along as I’d like to hear opinions as well. These frames have a ton on flex.
      Not that I know of. My cpp tubular trailing arms are fixed length as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 71CUTTYS View Post
      what is wrong with welding on the rails? I just had my 64 a-body frame boxed in with an HPI kit and I cant imagine the rails of a a-body being much different than frame rails from a truck. The summit kit is just a rebranded HPI kit.
      It'd probably be fine, but something about GM not heat treating/stress relieving the truck frames until the mid 80s, and that's why everything is riveted together??

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
      I have the Porterbuilt in my 72, great upgrade. Personally I don’t think the Summit unit looks anywhere as strong.
      Awesome, good to hear someone who actually owns one of them.

Did you do any additional sort of bracing anywhere else? Did it seem like it helped a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
      Awesome, good to hear someone who actually owns one of them.

Did you do any additional sort of bracing anywhere else? Did it seem like it helped a lot?
      No other bracing. I have ridetech streetgrip installed, with AGR steering box. Truck drives awesome.

the first time I drove out driveway and through gutter, the lack of twist was immediately noticeable. The truck feels very tied together and allows suspension to really work.
      Roger Andrews

71 K5 Blazer

No other bracing. I have ridetech streetgrip installed, with AGR steering box. Truck drives awesome.

the first time I drove out driveway and through gutter, the lack of twist was immediately noticeable. The truck feels very tied together and allows suspension to really work.
      Prefect thanks Roger.
      I plan to order a Borgesen 12.7:1 box as well. Are you running a steering cooler by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by traut811 View Post
      Prefect thanks Roger.
      I plan to order a Borgesen 12.7:1 box as well. Are you running a steering cooler by chance?
      No steering cooler, I don't drive it that hard
      Roger Andrews

71 K5 Blazer

The first two setups look a lot better than I was expecting. I’d try to talk to someone who has it installed.

Country Flag: Canada

Does it remove all 3 of the original crossmembers? Transmission, parking brake and trailing arm mount.
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

Quote Originally Posted by short&wide65 View Post
      Does it remove all 3 of the original crossmembers? Transmission, parking brake and trailing arm mount.
      yes
      Roger Andrews

71 K5 Blazer

I'm also building a 67 C10. I'm doing it on a slight budget. I bought the Tinwork's frame stiffener. Very nice product. Taylor is a great guy to talk to. Hand made product made here in Iowa. I haven't installed it yet because I'm still doing bodywork. I have used his products on my lowered 78 Suburban. Everything is very well made.

Rob did a c10 awhile back hoe touring, and rob showed how they braces the frame.

72 chevelle.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com