Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

64 Nova 5.3 LSA blower and AC questions

Preparing to install a LSA supercharger on my gen 3, 5.3 64 Nova. I will also be installing Vintage air later this winter. My current setup doesn't overheat with a cheap Champion ebay radiator here in Arizona.

My concern is once the supercharger intercooler and the AC condenser are added in front of the radiator I may be asking for problems in the Arizona summers.

The car is a manual so no trans cooler required. Also the LSA will be all stock so maybe 9psi and like 500 horse?

My question is what radiator to run? I plan to drive this car hard, really hard. So while not looking to spend money unnecessarily, I am wanting a MAX effort radiator. Also curious about double pass radiators vs single pass, any thoughts?

Thanks in advanceAttachment 201444Name:  20210910_014811[583]a.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  335.4 KBName:  20220813_142328[582].jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  481.8 KB

Country Flag: United States
      I would call C&R. I love the one in mine.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      I would call C&R. I love the one in mine.
      X2.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I have a C&R in my lsa powered 63 as well. I don’t have the part number handy but has the engine oil and power steering cooler as well. No heat problems so far, running a gt500 heat exchanger and vintage air.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      Brandon

71 El Camino ZZ430/700r4,
      72 Buick Sun Coupe slowly working on LSx/6spd swap
      63 Nova husband and wife daily driver and autocross project

I'm in AZ also and I have LT4 with vintage AC and 4L80E trans cooler. I have a C&R setup with dual SPAL brushless fans. Here is a video of the car https://youtu.be/zmfhky13DaU you can see my setup. I've had it out several times this summer and it usually runs between 195 and 210 max.

Oh, PS - I have the factory blower from the LT4 I removed to install the Magnuson. I may be selling that. It's got 500 miles on it from GM crate motor

I just remember I posted about my build, you can see my setup here https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...hanger-it-fits!

Thanks for the replies. Wow, everyone runs C&R? What exactly makes them so popular? They are certainly spendy

C&R uses high quality Denso cores, at least they used to.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Seems like a multi-tiered question to me. If if was me personally, if the champion radiator is working properly now just add the VA and intercooler and see what happens. You very well could have enough with your current setup to properly cool. If you have trouble keeping it all cool, I'd go with at least a dual pass radiator. I was running a Auto City Classic's dual pass LS swap radiator and retrofit C7 Brushless Spal fan. My coolant temps would hold at whatever temperature I set the fans to, and while driving I would see the temps drop to 185*. My IAT's would never get over 110*. But, that was in NY where the temps were around 80-85, so you may see different results in AZ summer.

As for the LSA cooling, your best bet is to get the best intercooler that you can, increase the lines to 3/4" and get a good pump. CWA100 is a great performing pump at a good price. Keeping the IAT's down will help the supercharger live a good long life as well as more HP.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com