Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Clearances around the diff.....

Hi guys,

Quick question....

I performed an LS upgrade on my 1968 Camaro. In order to get this on the road legally in my country, I need to install the carbon canister for fuel tank purging.

Anyways.....I felt the best place to install the carbon canister was in front of my Tanks Inc. fuel tank, right between the tank and the diff.
      So the carbon canister sits in high and tight against the fuel tank. It sits in there fine, and I have made up brackets, shielding etc.....it's not pretty, but I have bolted it in.

However I stepped back after as I was installing and realise I am not 100% sure there is enough clearance from the back of the diff.

I know the diff can kick under load, with the pinion rising up, but I am not sure "how much" the diff can actually move backwards in a 4-link setup. This is not a drag car btw, aside from some spirted acceleration here and there, the car is just a cruiser. Not huge horsepower.

FYI - I have ridetech 4-link in the rear of my 1968 camaro.

So....

At the closest point, with spring under full load, I think I have around 40mm to 50mm between the Carbon Canister and diff....which is about 1.6 inches. See pics.

Am I too close?
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Country Flag: United States
      I would remove the coilover springs and cycle the suspension through its full travel.

There is not much pinion rotation with a four link. That generally happens due to spring wrap with leaf springs.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
      At the closest point, with spring under full load, I think I have around 40mm to 50mm between the Carbon Canister and diff....which is about 1.6 inches.
      If you have 1.6" of clearance with the suspension truly bottomed out, I would say that's totally fine. If the rear end moves far back enough to make contact (or the body flexes somehow) then you have other problems.

Put a dab of chassis grease on the fins of the diff cover and drive it for a while, if the grease has not transferred to the carbon canister, you're good to go.

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com