Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Labor Cost

Country Flag: United States

Labor Cost

Want to ask a question on Labor cost of a complete frame off restoration. And rightly said I should say " Complete frame off CUSTOM restoration". I know it is almost impossible to give a accurate estimate. But a " normal ball park " type of estimate. Most all parts put back on were aftermarket and or custom type parts. So I get it, alot of fabrication, nothing fits accurately, alot of work and time to get it to fit. Fenders lined up correctly, hood having to been reworked, vintage air, custom engine, custom hoses, custom radiator, custom interior, new outer rockers , rhino line undercoat, custom exhaust. New quarters, reworked trunk lid,etc. Even my Billet head light rings, and almost every item billet. So this is most everything custom. So labor could easily be 50, 60 thousand? Just labor? 69 Firebird, which can even be tougher because it is a single year body style car. Thanks.

Complete build, I typically start at 1,200 hours and it only goes up from there. That does not include paint or upholstery hours in most cases. That also assumes very minimal rust repair.

For anyone following along, this is a conversation to be had before work starts, not after.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Labor to install and align 69 front bumper, hood, and grilles etc could easily be $20k. Just kidding, sort of. Don’t ask me how I know… ;)

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

So $60 to $70 thousand is normal or even more? Correct?

Avg $100hr X however many hours it takes to do the job you ask for.
      Tracey

There are so many variables and unknowns going into these projects that it makes it very difficult, if not impossible for shops to give a down-to-the-dollar type quote (as you have found out).

Depends on a lot of factors...but if you want a turn key car finished to a very high level, and assuming that everything will be new/custom and that there will be surprises along the way, I would at least double the high number you mentioned for labor and quadruple the time you think it will take to finish it.

Thanks

Ok. Great. Thanks for all the feedback. I live in a rural area here in Missouri. We have a restoration shop here in our small city that has been doing this work around 25 years. Does very good work. $65 hourly. I have around $50 thousand in my build. Sounds like good price compared to what other parts of many are paying in other areas. I will ad a couple photos. Any one who is familiar with 69 Firebird will see just all if the custom fabricating on my build. Bempers painted, floating look to rear bumper, take a good look at customized cluster gauge dash panel, it is original 69 Firebird, but refabricated look. All metal on glove box area and upper dash covered in vinyl.. Just awesome what can be done. Billet head light bezel rings, custom painted front end grilles, etc. Check out my custom dome light that was fabricated out of March performance nose cover. Etc etc etc. Thanks for all your replies. Customer stuff inside, engine compartment, all LED, under car, trunk, and goes on. May not be Jay Leno money type build. For for a Old Concrete Finisher budget looks amazing. Actually right now adding upgraded Billet March Performance power steering pump and fancier serpentine system, and 20AN upper and lower radiator hoses. With polished Edelbrock water pump. Name:  Screenshot_20220813-071519_Gallery.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  121.2 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071417_Gallery.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  195.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071439_Gallery.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  137.1 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071743_Gallery.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  234.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071800_Gallery.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  190.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071659_Gallery.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  159.3 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071644_Gallery.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  232.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071620_Gallery.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  91.5 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071609_Gallery.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  134.6 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071500_Gallery.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  131.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20220813-071353_Gallery.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  162.5 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images      

Car looks really good and if you only have 50k in it you did good. Where u at in missouri? Im in kansas city

I am in Marthasville mo. About 50 miles west of St Louis. 50 thousand is Labor only. Another 10 thousand from other work done. And probably 45 thousand in parts.

Looks great, very nice.
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Quote Originally Posted by jtkkwag1 View Post
      I am in Marthasville mo. About 50 miles west of St Louis. 50 thousand is Labor only. Another 10 thousand from other work done. And probably 45 thousand in parts.
      Ok that makes more sense lol.

Nice looking bird����I'd say you got a fair price too.

Nice to see another 69 bird around here. Looking good!

Thanks

Thanks for all your replies. Yeah, I live in a Rural area in Missouri. Probably would have spent double in labor in St Louis or any big city. Grundy insurance did not even hesitate when I asked to insure for $ 90.000.00 with just some pics. No receipts or appraisal needed. I am sure they know what they are looking at when they insure these cars. Thanks again for your comments and replies.

$65/hr for labor at a reputable shop is a really good price. That rate here in my area would be a hack job.

I just had a local shop diagnose and replace fuel injectors on my 87 Firebird. 5 hr job and cost $800 with me buying the injectors. Point is you did very well with your labor rate.

My local restoration shop charges 85 an hour.

For those of us that have assembled a 69 Firebird front end I would say it was worth every dime.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com