Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Radiator hose experts

I have a 69 Firebird. Been in custom build pro touring type shop for 1 1/2 years. Show type build. Now here it is 99% done. On first test drive top radiator hose at thermostat housing neck pops off. Coolant everywhere. They first say chrome neck slippery so they sand it some and put back on. Well 2nd test drive and pops off again. And than a 3rd time. Now looking at my show type engine and all custom parts on engine, in engine compartment and even on a arms, shocks, coil springs, literally everywhere. TERRIBLE FOR SHOW. So they now say even though hose was never used it was to old and caused this to happen. I work at 3 new car dealerships, doing building maintenance. I showed 3 different Master Technician Mechanics, from 10 years experience to 32 years experience. All said same thing, even though some hairline cracks on end of rubber part of this stainless radiator hose. That is NOT why this hose has popped off. And if so why did they put it on in the first place, no matter who supplied the part, in NEW PACKAGING NEVER USED. And why did they put it back on several times. Luckily I took ALOT of pics through the build. Now I am attaching some pics, at first pics, ( which is before first test drive at all), look closely at hose on thermostat housing neck, the hose is barely on the neck, you can't see clamp but the first clamp is about 1/4 inch in under chrome cover and about 1/4 inch wide. Probably right at the end of the water neck, possibly on top of bead roll. Also look at hose on radiator, same issue on that. Remember, these are cut to fit. Also look closely at rubber locations on these pics before ever being test driven. Now look at 2nd pics of these 2 locations AFTER test driven. They got hot , swelled up and were to short for any type of movement and this I believe 100% is why it came off. NO room for expansion, vibration, movement. When a engine with 525 horse power and 525 torque runs and you give it some gas there will be movement in that area and expansion and movement yanked the hose off the thermostat neck. Bottom line. Cut to short, and installed incorrectly. Also, now that the hose is off, when I put the hose on radiator side, on the neck, butted up where it should be against radiator, other end does not even go over thermost housing neck.. To short. Let me know your professional opinion. Also, I am no mechanic. But this seems clear to me. Zoom in on thumbnail. ATTACH=CONFIG]201292[/ATTACH]Name:  Screenshot_20220806-184133_Gallery.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  274.8 KBName:  Screenshot_20220806-184320_Gallery.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  99.9 KBName:  Screenshot_20220806-184401_Gallery.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  149.6 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Country Flag: United States
      Those hoses suck. Sign of a Mickey Mouse build imho. Get a proper hose and use Gates heat shrink hose clamps for a clean look.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I've never been a fan of that style of hose. I've seen them on many street rods so they must work. Really looks like they cut it too short and tried to make it work. Bad call.
      Either get a new one that is longer and cut it to the proper length or as said above get a rubber hose from the local parts house. Measure the inlet and outlet of the hose. Make a pattern either out of wire or card board and go radiator hose diving at the local parts store.
      Oh and just being the "hide the wiring the best you can" guy shorten that black/red lead going to the alternator if you can.
      You need to send some pics of the whole car.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com