Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Which Way to Go??

Acquired a car that was already built utilizing Baer Brakes (I know Wilwood sponsors this sub forum).

Car has an LS9 Crate Engine - Baer Disks - Baer Remaster Master Cylinder.

Issue is the car has a ‘generic’ brass proportioning valve and lots of messy coiled hard lines under the Brake Booster / MC. I would like to swap out the ‘generic’ proportioning valve with the nice Baer Remaster P-Valve than mounts directly underneath the MC and has pre-fabbed hard lines for a clean installation.

But … In looking things over, I see I have a 1-1/8” Master Cylinder - which I understand is ‘generally’ recommended for Hydroboost Systems. Most folks recommend a 1” MC for Vacuum Booster (NON-Hydro) Power Brakes.

I will say, at times, the brake pedal feels a little ‘soft’ and I occasionally need to lift the brake pedal with my toe in order to get a full return of the pedal to de-activate the brake light switch.

One acquaintance suggested stepping down to the 15/16” Master and matching Prop valve and ditching the Brake Booster all together.

On the other hand, if I’ve got a nice vacuum booster - and stepping down to a 1” MC and Prop Valve will clean things up and give me a firmer pedal - maybe that’s the way to go?

Last option is get the nice, matching 1-1/8” Proportioning Valve from Baer so I have the correct diameter if I ever want to go Hydroboost.

Right now, I am leaning toward getting the 1” MC and P-Valve, getting rid of the generic brass P-valve and messy coiled hard lines and calling it a day.

Any thoughts / experience greatly appreciated.

Thank You!

What brakes are on the car? That will go a long way towards determining what bore master cylinder to use. A smaller diameter master cylinder will not give a firmer pedal, but will give you more line pressure at the calipers with the same force input on the pedal.

Todd Z.

Quote Originally Posted by toddz69 View Post
      What brakes are on the car? That will go a long way towards determining what bore master cylinder to use. A smaller diameter master cylinder will not give a firmer pedal, but will give you more line pressure at the calipers with the same force input on the pedal.

Todd Z.
      Thank you for the reply. I’ve got to do a better job of checking in on this forum - or turn on email notifications so I don’t miss responses. I don’t have a part #, but this is Baer’s disc kit with the larger slotted and drilled rotors - they completely fill the front wheels and I’m running 18s all around.

Got the car over to a really good local shop for an inspection and test drive. Very likely still a bit of air in the lines. We are going 1” MC with matching prop valve, keeping the vacuum booster, cleaning up the lines, and bleeding. I will report back.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com