Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Completely depressing

Ok. I have a 69 Firebird with EVERYTHING in engine compartment either Aluminum, Stainless Steel, or Chrome. Even all March performance that is clear powder coated Aluminum. My JUNK Magna Kool radiator hose came off top at thermostat housing. Made a mess. It was washed off within 15 minutes, but it seems as though the water/coolant spots in some areas won't come off. It came off fairly easy on chrome, endurashine manifold, but Aluminum and clear powder coat has stains. Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do to remove stains? PLEASE HELP. I did not install anything, a company did. Shouldn't they be accountable? And it seems like to make it like new again, they need to start removing items and have buffed on buffing wheel. This is definitely show type looking engine compartment and unacceptable to me or any customer with $80,000.00 in a car. Also this is a new build. One other thing, my subframe and rear end are powder coated, they also jacked the car up a couple times on front subframe and rear end and damaged spots of the powder coating because they did not use rubber or wood block on jack pad. This company does do good work, and I know nothing purposely done and was mistake/accident, what would you do than? Thanks.

Lots of info and videos out there. Google how to clean polished aluminum.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I’d turn it into my insurance carrier. If they want to go after the shop the can. It shouldn’t affect you.
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

If the the alum was clear powder coated it can't be polished. Maybe contact a local powder coater and ask their advice?

Just another thought in regards to the clear coat. Would one of those kits that folks use to buff out head lights work? Worth a try maybe on the back side of a bracket where you can't see it.

Thanks for replies.

Just want to thank u all for the replies.

What about a clay bar?

You need to determine exactly what the clear coating is.

If it is clear coated like paint (a lot of aluminum parts are). You should be able to treat like car paint and use a light polish to remove.

I’ve read you can polish powder coating too. If your parts are powdercoated maybe this will help shrug

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h8_7WnhOnIQ

Try and claybar it

Try nevr-dull on the aluminum to get rid of the staining.

If the shop did everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) I would consider taking it to them and asking them to do the cleaning.

They should have used plastic on the jack- but they will probably blame that on the powder coater.

If I had close to 100k spent with one company I would not want to sever ties with them over this- but I would expect them to clean it up.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com