Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

"Ghosted" body stripes

I'm very close to painting my car ('72 Olds 442 convertible). I plan to add the W-29 factory style, 442 stripes down the sides and on the hood which are more narrow than the wider W-30 stripes that everyone does. Although I want to be more authentic as to the size and placement of the stripes, I would like to customize this detail just a little. I have seen cars with "ghosted" stripes that are more subtle than a solid white stripe over body color combination; these were usually a gun metal silver color but I don't know how to describe the stripes. They were very faint until you got up closer to the car or the sun hit just right to see them.

My car is blue with pearl white interior and top. I have tried a few pearl & mica white colors but they seem too solid white over blue.
      Should I be looking at lighter shades of blue for the stripes to achieve the "ghosted" stripe look? Any ideas how best to approach this??

Rodney

This is the color I chose. These are the wider W-30 stripes but the placement for the W-29 stripes is similar. I want the stripes to be more subtle than this.
      Name:  72Cutlass_DkBlue2.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  124.4 KB
      Rodney Meyers
      72 Olds 442 Rest-mod clone

Name:  IMG_0916.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  325.2 KBName:  IMG_0909.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  183.6 KB Is this the idea? I added a small amount of pearl powder to the clear and shot the stripes right on top of the basecoat. I then shot the regular clear coat over the top and this was the result. I't not very visible until the sun hits it just right, then it really pops out. I used red pearl but it looks purple on top of the lead foot gray.

I did something similar years ago but I put the pearl into the base coat and then shot the clear over it. It was a black base with a blue pearl; you didn't see it until the sun hit it. I would experiment with blue pearls and see what you get. Post some pics if you do so we can see how they come out. Thanks.

Alex

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com