Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

1967 Camaro Aeromotive Notched Tank Question

I am looking at fuel delivery systems and want to get a tank that’s narrow on the filler end. I am looking at notched tanks and Rick’s Hot Rod states their Restomod tank is 32” width measured across at the filler neck and hold 16 gallons. Aeromotive states that their tank is 28” across at the filler neck and holds 18 gallons? That doesn’t compute since the Aeromotive tank appears to have bigger notches on the axle side.

Does anyone have the Aeromotive 18345 tank unit and willing to measure the width at the filler end?

Thank you,

Bill

You couldn’t pay me to run anything Aeromotive in my car, especially their pumps.

That being said their tank is likely deeper than the Restomod tank.

Ricks has a narrowed tank for minitubbed cars with offset leaf springs. I used one many years ago.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Aeromotive seems to get good feedback and reviews. I want to get the most narrow tank and have a reliable car too. I can’t pay $3000 for a custom tank so I am looking for alternatives.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...e-stealth-tank

There’s another thread here where a guy went trough three Aeromotive pumps before he finally gave up. Spend some time searching.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I did a ricks stainless tank not the restomod series but the custom, notched for mini tubs, had him add the zl1 camaro piumps with returnless and 58 psi regulator a d corner pick ups added and it was like 2 grand. Couldn't be happier with the quality, fit and finish and it performs well on 700hp naturally aspirated
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

TankMaster,

I went to your build page and that was quite a journey! On page 11 you show the fuel tank in and hooked up. Any photos in there of the tank prior to installation? It looks like you went with the ZL1 GM pump and the 58psi bypass. Or did you do a pwm setup?

No pwm. With his tank regulator and pump supposed I don't need one at 700hp. I don't think I have any photos of the pump setup or corner pickups but I've had them in and out a couple times. Now my engine was dynoed in the vette I took it out of. It made 575 at the wheels. I haven't dynoed yet as now I'm playing with tuning. So we will see if the ZL1 pump will in fact produce enough fuel for 700 crank hp and 574 whp. The car doe however corner very well and I haven't ran out of fuel yet. i did like many guys have some tank venting issues. But solved them with the largest barbed nipple I could put in the Ricks Tanks which was a 1/4" npt thread by 3/8 barbed
      I also added a vent tube in the ridetech billet fuel neck.
      I'm entertaining a PWM later. From what I understand from guys on here cooler fuel temps and longer pump life are the benefits. I'm new to LS and fuel injection so I'm learning.
      But dang this LS7 is rowdy. I know many guys here got way more power but for a street rig I can't imagine needing it. Wanting sure but needing, Nah!
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

The choice for a pwm vs. bypass regulator should be based on the pump used, not the horsepower requirement.

At idle/cruise, where a full-speed pump is returning nearly all of the pumped fuel, is nearly the same for most engines. The idea is to slow the pump during idle and cruise to only what is needed in order to reduce pumpmspeed, reduce fuel temperatures, and increase pump life.

VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com