Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Restomod AC

Country Flag: United States

Restomod AC

Anyone ever use the Haymaker S in a first Gen camaro? Looking at replacing a problematic 14 year old VA Gen IV unit. Any info would be appreciated!

Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Chris

did you check Classic Auto Air, I believe its the same company as Restomod Air, same address...

I am debating between Vintage Air & Classic Auto Air for my 69 camaro
      I just didn't like the VA controllers

Scott

Scott, yeah I have. I already have a smoothed firewall and don’t want to drill any holes in it to mount. The VA technology hasn’t changed in almost 15 years and don’t have any new systems coming up (according to their techs). Looking at the RA stuff with the Bluetooth and app capabilities. After waiting 3+ days for a call back from their tech (not the first time it has happened). Just looking at other options……….
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

This question has been raised several times over on the chevelle forum I frequent. There are a couple of guys w/ classic air and absolutely despise the temp/fan controls w/ their systems. The controls are very light and you can't control temp at all, either freezing or boiling unfortunately. I'm gearing up for a VA setup, just not that many options out there unless you want to run an old school box under the dash or something in the trunk.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

I think the Dakota Digital controller for Vintage Air is pretty decent.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Following this as I'm looking at the same thing. I have the system before the vintage air IV system and it sucks. I like the Classic air in that the coils are separated and the evaporator core is larger for better cooling. Like Chris, I didn't like the fact that you have to drill holes in specific locations through your firewall since I've already drilled a hole to run the lines through from my current VA. Really interested in the restomod as I think I can make it work with my current hole locations. However, the cost... Ouch...
      1967 Camaro RS/SS - Project "Skunkworks" in Progress...

I made the jump from an old VA setup to a new Restomod Air setup. Everything was great for the first few months then I started having issues with the controller doors and ac/ heat changing... I have been trying to work with Tim and Mark at RA and they havent been much help. Im disappointed in the CS with them.

Dang Tictakman, was hoping not to hear that. I have had various issues with this thing the past couple of years and just ready for a reset. CS at VA hasn’t been much better, sales answers right away but they are 2-3 months out and the Tech Dept takes a few days to get a call back.

Don, I have that new DD control unit. It is a nice piece but when the evap starts working incorrectly its a moot point. Luckily for me I don’t need one tomorrow and can use this one for a while longer.

The easy solution would be to just install a new VA evap unit I guess.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      Dang Tictakman, was hoping not to hear that. I have had various issues with this thing the past couple of years and just ready for a reset. CS at VA hasn’t been much better, sales answers right away but they are 2-3 months out and the Tech Dept takes a few days to get a call back.

Don, I have that new DD control unit. It is a nice piece but when the evap starts working incorrectly its a moot point. Luckily for me I don’t need one tomorrow and can use this one for a while longer.

The easy solution would be to just install a new VA evap unit I guess.
      Since when have you done something to this car the easy way?
      1967 Camaro RS/SS - Project "Skunkworks" in Progress...

Quote Originally Posted by piratebaseball View Post
      Since when have you done something to this car the easy way?
      Landon, Probably 20% of the time 😂
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com