Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ram dual disc question

I installed a Ram dual disc clutch and Tilton hydraulic release bearing in a Firebird (535ci, T56 magnum). After bleeding the system I wanted to know where the clutch engages so that I could set-up a clutch stop. What I noticed is that when the transmission is in gear and the clutch is depressed about half-way and beyond, I can turn the tires by hand with the car in the air, but not as easily as when the transmission is in neutral. It sounds like the clutches are rubbing slightly. I've never had a dual disc clutch so not sure if this is normal. Car isn't running yet, so can't test on the road. Just wondering whether the clutches should release completely so there's absolutely no rubbing, or whether some rubbing/interference is normal/OK?

I tried bleeding the system more but no change. I'm not getting any clutch release until the pedal is more than halfway to the floor, and even when it's all the way down, I'm not getting full clutch release. The pedal is very firm throughout, requires more effort than I expected. I was super careful setting up the release bearing, no leaks, everything is brand new, so wondering what the problem could be. The clutch master cylinder is a Tilton 7/8" and I'm using factory clutch pedal. Hoping there are some things to try that do not involve removing the transmission. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

There's more drivetrain drag from the gears when you are in gear vs neutral and the pilot bushing / bearing is involved too because you are turning the input shaft, so there's going to be some difference. The pilot bearing/bushing should be minimal though

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com