Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

New guy looking to Identify LS

Got this Jimmys Chassis buggy last year and still have not met anyone in person that can show me on paper what this motor is. Truck intake, Aluminum block, VIN# is 3GNEC16T61G148470. Not sure that the computer and motor are from the same vehicle. VIN states an iron block, when its clearly not iron. I cannot find a 6.0, 5.7, or 5.3 stamp on either end of the motor. Visually its an LM4 or L33, but it has 862 heads with neither of those came with. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks
      Attached Images Attached Images              

Country Flag: United States
      If the size is not cast in the back of the block, then i wonder if it is either a 4.8L or 5.3L because they have the same bore.

Here is example of size cast into the block.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

A 5.3 is what most people have told me. Can any of those numbers be used to identify it? Is there a database anywhere that would have that?

The only thing I can find is that the 862 are 5.3L heads.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

In the picture above, the 8 digit number on the left, right at the edge of the cylinder block is as close as you are going to get. At least it will tell you what it left the factory as. It could have been bored, stroked and run a litany of cylinder heads.

T,

Makes sense. The closest I come to is a LM4, except my throttle is cable instead of Drive-by-Wire. But like you said, it could have been all kinds of modified. Thanks

Country Flag: Canada
      Take the vin to a gm dealer ... that should be enough for them to tell you what it came from
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Quote Originally Posted by raustinss View Post
      Take the vin to a gm dealer ... that should be enough for them to tell you what it came from
      VIN? As in the car VIN? I tried looking up the numbers in a VIN search tool but it says a VIN is 17 numbers, the longest one pictured is 16.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Vin is 3GNEC16T61G148470. The motor that came stock in that VIN is an iron block. Mine is defiantly aluminum. T = Gen 3 LM7 Iron Block.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_rado View Post
      Vin is 3GNEC16T61G148470. The motor that came stock in that VIN is an iron block. Mine is defiantly aluminum. T = Gen 3 LM7 Iron Block.
      What is it that you are ultimately trying to figure out?

Where are the knock sensors on this engine?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

See if you can sneak a camera onto the passenger side of the engine block next to the timing cover. It should be located there, but may be hard to see if there is an engine accessory bolted to it. I'll bet with a flashlight you could see it. The

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

If you have an aluminum block 5.3 for sure ..... it's probably a 2003 or 2004 from a Trailblazer as they came factory with 862 heads, knock sensors in the valley and a 3 bolt style drive by wire throttle body. Though you have a cable throttle body on your rig the bolt pattern is the same for both I believe. If you have the oil pan off look at the rods as the Gen 3 style came in these motors. The 2005 & up aluminum 5.3 had Gen 4 floating rods, 799 heads, Trailblazer SS intake with a 4 bolt drive by wire TB, knock sensors will on the side of the block back behind the motor mounts, and the cam sensor will be on the front timing cover. The aluminum Gen 3 & Gen 4 5.3's in the year models mentioned are 24x & cathedral port motors. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TUBED View Post
      If you have an aluminum block 5.3 for sure ..... it's probably a 2003 or 2004 from a Trailblazer as they came factory with 862 heads, knock sensors in the valley and a 3 bolt style drive by wire throttle body. Though you have a cable throttle body on your rig the bolt pattern is the same for both I believe. If you have the oil pan off look at the rods as the Gen 3 style came in these motors. The 2005 & up aluminum 5.3 had Gen 4 floating rods, 799 heads, Trailblazer SS intake with a 4 bolt drive by wire TB, knock sensors will on the side of the block back behind the motor mounts, and the cam sensor will be on the front timing cover. The aluminum Gen 3 & Gen 4 5.3's in the year models mentioned are 24x & cathedral port motors. Hope this helps.
      Great Info! The throttle body has 3 bolts. I smashed the oil pan so ill check the rods when I change it out. Here is the number on the side of the block, which those first 2 Letter/Digits are not making sense.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Black_rado View Post
      Great Info! The throttle body has 3 bolts. I smashed the oil pan so ill check the rods when I change it out. Here is the number on the side of the block, which those first 2 Letter/Digits are not making sense.
      The partial VIN on the block starts with the 9TH digit as 10th digit is the second number being 4 tells you that the year model is 2004.... if these are indeed the numbers on the back of the block . The VIN from the computer being used is from a 2001 GM 1500 truck with a 5.3, here's the breakdown of the VIN digits you provided : the 6th digit is 1 representing 1500 half ton series truck, the 8th digit is T for a 5.3 motor, and the 10th digit is 1 meaning it's a 2001 year model.
      Most likely what you have in your rig is a 2004 Gen 3 5.3 RPO code (LM4) the 8th digit of the VIN would have been P and the elctronics from a 2001 GM truck.

Quote Originally Posted by TUBED View Post
      The partial VIN on the block starts with the 9TH digit as 10th digit is the second number being 4 tells you that the year model is 2004.... if these are indeed the numbers on the back of the block . The VIN from the computer being used is from a 2001 GM 1500 truck with a 5.3, here's the breakdown of the VIN digits you provided : the 6th digit is 1 representing 1500 half ton series truck, the 8th digit is T for a 5.3 motor, and the 10th digit is 1 meaning it's a 2001 year model.
      Most likely what you have in your rig is a 2004 Gen 3 5.3 RPO code (LM4) the 8th digit of the VIN would have been P and the elctronics from a 2001 GM truck.
      Awesome! Thanks for your help! Appreciate it! (Needs to be 50 characters)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com