Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Oil pump won't prime

It is not my month.

New motor put in (LQ9 from a 2006 Escalade), and I can't get the oil pump to prime. Using the Holley 302-2 pan with their pickup, pump is my LS1 pump from the dead motor so it at least is known to have been a functional pump. "Failure to prime" is both by watching the mechanical gauge hooked up to the port over the oil filter and also with the driver's head off looking for lubrication on the rockers.

I've tried:

• removing the oil galley plug on the driver's side front and pouring half a quart of oil in
      • taking the plugs out and letting the starter spin the engine for 20 seconds at a time repeatedly
      • pulled the pump apart and verified it wasn't full of crud
      • pulled the pan off and verified it also wasn't full of crud
      • pulled the pickup off and blew through it to ensure it wasn't clogged/full of crud
      • verified the o-ring was installed and not pinched

and still... no pressure.

Internet reads like the next/final two items are:
      a) Barbell not installed
      b) internal blowout of the engine

So - am I missing something? Is the next step pulling the engine, removing the transmission, pulling off the back cover and verifying the barbell is in place or is there an easier method there? How would I tell if the engine just has internal damage and won't ever get pressure? I didn't see any metal chunks in the pan when I pulled it off initially. The vehicle the engine came out of was wrecked so I assume it was a functional engine when it went to the junkyard.

I do have the escalade's pump if the consensus is that maybe my pump is just bad now.

Try raising the rear of the car as high as you can get it. This has worked for me in the past. Add another couple of quarts of oil if that still doesn’t work. Drain them out once you get pressure.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Don. I'd gone ahead and swapped oil pumps just as your response came in; with the Escalade's oil pump and an extra quart and a half of oil the vehicle successfully primed. I'm taking that as being explicitly due to your suggestion and the swapping of the pump was not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by derekf View Post
      Thanks Don. I'd gone ahead and swapped oil pumps just as your response came in; with the Escalade's oil pump and an extra quart and a half of oil the vehicle successfully primed. I'm taking that as being explicitly due to your suggestion and the swapping of the pump was not necessary.
      Glad it worked out. Been down that road and it can be frustrating.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com