Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Upgraded GM A Body Frames (Not full Pro-Touring Chassis)

Pulling my '67 Chevelle out of mothballs and will be working on an LS Swap / major suspension upgrade with my 2 boys. The car will be a driver that I also want to handle well on some twisty mountain roads or maybe an autox 2-3 times a year. No intention of heavy trackday use.

So I'm looking for an upgraded chassis that comes with upgraded performance without going to a full RS, Speedtech, Schwartz, etc. setup.

Here's the question: Is there a reputable company that will take your stock frame and box / brace it, and other upgrades to accomplish what i'm looking for?

Country Flag: United States
      There are no companies per 'se offering this a s a service. You would have to find a shop to do that for you. Ideally having a spare chassis or having yours removed would help you facilitate things. By the time you pay for labor and buy upgraded suspension components you would probably be in the neighborhood of and RS Spec chassis.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Hey sounds like we’re in similar situations. I’m finally getting around to building my 67 Chevelle after it sat for almost a decade. Last year I had a local fab shop weld in the Hellwig FrameFX kit onto my factory frame. I haven’t driven the car since,but it looks and feels way more solid than before. If you have a welder and a way to lift the body it wouldn’t be too hard to DIY. Might be worth a look. And good luck!

Thanks guys, makes sense. Was wondering if there was a "go to" company or shop for this type of thing.

I’m in the same boat 64 ElCamino, by the time I do the frame over and do the suspension I think the speed tech chassis is the way I’m going.Name:  A36E48A3-BC7B-4991-A371-F1A7C2B19B15.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  260.9 KB

Great looking car. Knowing I’ll probably end up down this rabbit hole… what is pointing you toward the Speed Tech vs. others?

Speedtech chassis is amazing. Haven’t driven mine yet but I would buy their chassis again! As a matter of fact I just bought their extreme chassis for my
      ‘70 Cuda also.

I'd call the mfgs of the boxing kits, if they don't do the work, they may sell to shops that do.

http://www.abcperformance.net
      https://www.hellwigproducts.com/prod...rtnumber=11102

You could find a fab, welding, or frame shop in your area that could handle the work.

You don't necessarily need to box the frame to have fun with them, unless you're just wanting to spend money? You could find a convertible frame that's already boxed from the factory. Make sure your body bushings are in good shape and all the sheetmetal bolts are in place as they're all meant to work together as a system.

I'm running a front frame brace (highly recommend), rear control arm braces (made a difference), and complete aftermarket suspension that I put together on a budget and am having a lot of fun with it. Boxing the frame is on the list but can be done down the road.

[/url]
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Country Flag: Canada
      I agree any local custom car shop or fab shop should be able to fit your needs using the stock frame , a front frame brace , summit aka hpi frame brace kit and abc performance mini tub kit will make significant changes in how your car feels and suspension works . Most of all its way cheaper than an aftermarket frame
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

Just looking at all the the different venders of chassis the torque tube rear suspension make me think the car will ride and handle better.

Where are you located? This guy has been doing A-body frames for quite a while now.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...494767622.html
      If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place.
      69 GTO
      72 FIREBIRD
      64 BONNEVILLE FUNERAL COACH
      70 JAVELIN
      52 F1 FORD PU
      29 FORD PU
      85 ALFA ROMEO
      ASSORTED DUCATI'S
      91 BLAZER LOWRIDER

This is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks!

I make front chassis braces,and just came out with a mid lateral supports brace that bolt in front of the lower control arm mount.
      They make a huge difference in chassis rigidity.
      And don't fool yourself,! Lol.
      Once you and your boys start doing autocross events you'll get hooked.
      Let me know and we can make you a set of braces.
      Also if you going with a stock spindle tall ball joint are a must.
      I could do the fab work on your stock chassis,
      I'm in socal. I do alot of side car work at my home,so I have no over head and prices are very fair.
      72 chevelle.

Jim’s Chevelle Alley will do what your looking for. They have been for years. They’ll modify your frame, sell one outright or exchange.
      They will do pretty much anything you want, ie, boxing, narrowing, powder coating, upgraded suspension, brakes, you name it.
      They also may pickup and deliver depending on where you are.
      https://jimschevellealleyllc.com/
      Worlds Fastest LFX powered 1966 Chevelle, with a 3.6L/217 CI, 4 cam direct injected V6, 6 speed auto, full Hotchkis suspension, 4 wheel Wilwood discs, white w/red interior, cowl hood. 3260 lbs w/full tank.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      Quote Originally Posted by vcho455 View Post
      Where are you located? This guy has been doing A-body frames for quite a while now.

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...494767622.html

I believe the frame pictured is to one I sold when I aborted a 65 elCamino project. Has narrowed rear frame rails and a frame stiffner kit from some guys up in Canada. The car was located in Portland , I was located in Michigan, and enthusiasm ran out when every panel on the car except the roof was bent. Still have most of the suspension bit fosr it and an LS2 that are slowly being cannabalised for other projects
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

Front frame brace

Chevelletiger, are you still making the front frame braces? I have a 64 GTO and was looking to stiffen up the front of my car. I have added the UMI bar under the sway bar, but would like more. It looks like you made the braces for the 68-72 A-bodies. I saw the price at $195 + shipping, awhile back. I know everything has gone up. You also said something about a mid brace around the control arms well. I have the SPC front upper and lower control arms and a rack and pinion steering and would be interested in that as well if it would fit. I was looking at the front frame brace from SCandC, but they are no longer online.

I am looking for bracing on my Chevelle also. What did you end up going with?

I still make the front brace,but only for 68-72 ,I still haven't had the time to get together with one chevelles.com member that was going to bring over his 66 so I could male one,and the jig.
      Price went up to $200.00 plus shipping.
      Material cost went up on tube.
      Mark at sc&c went under.
      It's ashame
      72 chevelle.

Chevelletiger, I will keep checking back to see if and when you have the front braces ready to go in the future. I am still very interested in buying one from you.

[QUOTE=I still haven't had the time to get together with one chevelles.com member that was going to bring over his 66 so I could male one,and the jig.
      [/QUOTE]

I have a bare 1965 El Camino frame that I'm working on to do a frame swap on a 1964 Buick Skylark wagon in Fountain Valley 92708 if you're ever down in Orange County

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com