Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Damaged bellhousing dowel holes - very loose offset dowels

My dowels were an absolute bear to get out. Well......the dowel holes and the dowels somehow managed to get mangled in the process. Guess there was some material transfer after removing something that had been in place for 55 years. Heated block with MAPP gas, used the freeze spray, and a stud remover to get them out. Attached are what they look like - the dowel is just shown to give an idea of what the hole looks like (since the picture isn't really good) I had to take a dremel to clean up the dowel holes a little bit, and the result is that the holes are now about 0.635" instead of 0.620." Maybe more, since the holes are still all chewed up.

Name:  Dowel holesmall.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  57.8 KBName:  Dowelthumb.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  49.5 KB

Does anyone have a good way to deal with this? I have the Moroso style offset dowels. Not sure if the Robb MC Performance ones would expand that much? The only other thing I can think of is to try to smooth out the holes with JB Weld, then see if I can find some super thin metal, maybe sacrifice a feeler gauge, and wrap the dowels in it? Or maybe some fine mesh screen in there with the JB weld then sand it out more? Really not sure how to deal with this. There are set screws to drill into the side of teh block, then clamp down, but that would push the dowel over to one side, adding runout to the system.
      67 GTO - Build underway
      66 Bronco U13 Roadster
      And a couple of 80's Porsches

Country Flag: United States
      If you have the offsets in your hand you'll see they're actually pretty simple. I imagine any competent machine shop could knock a couple out a few thousandths bigger

Scott Atkinson
      68 Camaro SS in progress
      Las Vegas, NV / Redondo Beach, CA

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com