Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
      Quote Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
      Yes. The driver and passenger both suffered minor injuries but survived. The reclining corbeau (not a racing seat) seat collapsed. One bit of POS faux-racing equipment nearly killed him and another saved his life by failing.
      So Corbeau is not a repudiable "racing" brand? I'm not sure what you're getting at. I had planned to buy a set of their harness belts that mount using the stock 3 pts and an CR1 seat. Would you advise against that?
      Dan
      1968 Camaro v2
      LS6 :: Viper T56 :: C5 Brakes :: Hotchkis Suspension

Country Flag: United States
      Corbeau RECLINING seats are not "race" seats. It doesn't matter the manufacturer. If it reclines it can collapse. Corbeau seats are very good when speaking in generalities but they do make different seats for different levels of driving. If you have a cruiser then reclining seats are great but if you want to get fast and drive 10/10ths (or even 8/10ths IMO) then stick with a REAL "racing" seat.

There are differences in "racing" seats and "street" seats. Even $1600 reclining Corbeau's will fail. The price point does not equal safety.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Vicinity View Post
      So Corbeau is not a repudiable "racing" brand? I'm not sure what you're getting at. I had planned to buy a set of their harness belts that mount using the stock 3 pts and an CR1 seat. Would you advise against that?
      Adding to Johnny's post above, when I wrote the comment that you replied to Corbeau did not have FIA certs for ANY of their seats be it reclining or fixed. They did at one time, but when the requirements changed they (at the time) elected to let their certs lapse and not upgrade their product to the new requirements. I haven't checked in quite some time to see if that has changed or not, but when written that was the case.

A reclining seat IS NOT a racing seat and should not be considered such. Better than stock? Sure. But it should not be considered safety equipment in the manner that a properly installed, certified fixed back seat is.
      Last edited by Damn True; 04-04-2012 at 09:12 AM.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

When will a certified fuel cell be required in the RTTX series?

Required? I don't want to speak for Bill but it probably won't be. Awfully good idea though for track use.
      Last edited by Damn True; 04-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Required? I don't want to speak for Bill but it probably won't be. Awfully good idea though for track use.
      I was just thinking as this series progresses new rules will be added. Just like this year, 3pt harness, fire extinguisher etc....

Country Flag: Canada
      I built my car following CACC and SCCA rules for safety, then kept it street legal from there.....I've rolled over enough times to know I like cages that work!

Good reading, as I am getting ready to install roll bar (probably a 6 pt with bolt in cross bar.) and other safety items. Also was thinking of using a fox body or newer Mustang seat without the headrest, in m y 65 fastback, until I read this. Now going with the headrest and lowering the seat box. Thanks to all for the info.

So ya think you don't need a cage for open track or occasional "spirited driving" on the street?

A Subie STI wadded up at Pacific Raceway during a time-trial event. The car was the only vehicle on course at the time. Driver was no slouch either. He is the SM national champ.
      a cage on the street can be more dangerous. cages are usually meant to be use with helmets, harnesses, and other restraints. proper OEM quality seats (AND MOUNTS!), seat belts, etc are really the other most important parts.

one of the worst things i see is people putting obscene amounts of power into their car without even thinking of the brakes. same with tires.

there has to be some planning when these builds start. is it going to be a track animal or not? if it isnt, there has to be some sort of compromise. especially if the self control to not keep ones foot out of it isnt there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com