Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      I'd rather help you compile and write it. May as well email me pix of your cage and I'll pick out the strengths and weakness of both our designs. But the site can't wait for the usual magazine lead time, so it will have to run here and in the magazine concurrently. Ask Mr. Wonderful if that's okay. Actually, I'll just talk to both you and Johnny at MPMC in two weeks. --And don't forget: Dan Nicholas (Jet) is bringing Poker chips and enough Jack Daniels to drown Dean Martin.

Allen,
      Let's try to do better. Bug Larry and Ralph about the best way for me to submit pix and text. Deadline: January 16 (of this year)

Sent you a PM on the topic. Tried to send it to Steve as well, but he needs to clean out his box.

(yikes, that dosen't sound good does it?)

True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      (yikes, that dosen't sound good does it?)
      You said it.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Steevo, check yer PMs.

Okay, Okay!! I'm back. I was in the bathroom!

JP.
      Pix of cockpit placement--good and bad--would really help. That way we have something other than Camaros. Your rear seat belt assemblies in particular, would be very helpful to others.

Steve, how are those 6x9 boxes in your rear seat area bolted down? I've seen those rip free of screws and slam into the back of the seat, causing real damage to the driver, even death. Just one more thing to think about when talking about safety.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Yup. One of my projects this winter is to recess the speakers and cd changer into the shelf--not the vertical firewall, but the horizontal shelf. Right now they are super velcro'd. The thinking was to remove them at the track. One more DON'T to show. I'll be happy to show all my mistakes. No shame in sharing.

I have a quick question. How much do you think a properly installed cage could cost? I'm not saying you have to be exact but a good estimant would be helpful.
      Andrew Petty

indeed.

case in point. Had a kid with a 80's CRX. (remember those?) he had the same boxes in the very rear of the car on the floor, he'd drilled holes through them and put bolts with 1/2 inch washers through them on both sides, and sandwiched the the fiberboard floor with the washers. He was in a 45 mph collison with a 91 seville. the speaker boxes ripped free, washers and all and flew up and hit him in the back of the head at 45 mph.

one of the worst things i've ever seen as a tow truck driver. Use the biggest washers you can, and bolt them to metal.

there was another young kid who was hit in the back through his seat and paralized from the waist down. Man, i dislike those evil speaker boxes.

next, come the people that think a few sheetrock screws holding new 5 lb 6x9s down in the package tray are ok. Folks those speakers weighed a few ounces new. Bolts and washers are needed there too.

you'd be shocked at the damage speakers can do.
      Tony Langlois
      1966 Corvair Monza

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68

Have any better pics of the cage? Thats exactly like how i plan the cage in my thirdgen. Send me a PM or and email.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69Nova
      I have a quick question. How much do you think a properly installed cage could cost? I'm not saying you have to be exact but a good estimant would be helpful.

Cost will vary depending on your area, the material used, and the level of complexity of the build. The biggest savings will be in how much or little disassembly/assembly the builder has to do. Bring him a car stripped of it's interior and you will save a ton of hours in labor.

TC Designs here in San Jose quoted me in the $2k range for a cage in my '68 that will pass NASA and SCCA tech. Plus or minus $500 or so for Cro-Mo, more or less complexity etc.

Again, prices in your area may be much different.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Steve, this is a damn good point you make, and I can tell everyone first hand, I have a titanium plate and 32 screws in my face, as well as the two lower vertabrae in my back a busted up really nice, all because some no tallen @$$ clown wanted to get high on meth and get on the interstate at the same time as me. I had two of my best friends in the world in the truck with me when it happened, it ended a military career, and totally screwed my life up, I still feel the effects of it to this day. By all rights I should be dead. You dont want to have to go through what I have belive me, I have had my face cut off, and I do mean off twice.

As far as it goes for being indestructable, I am 6'1" tall and 260 lbs and im built like a brick ******er. Once upon a time I was one of the US Navy's prodical sons, so if I can get ****ed up in an accident, so can everyone else on here. And I was in a Chevy Z71 and that truck was wasted. 65 mph crash as well.

Belive me when I say my car is going to have a full cage and damn good seats with 4 way belts, I am not about to play around with my life, as well you go out here and get yourself all messed up, it is a great deal of fun going through the trials and trivuations of tyring to find a job you can work as well after having a few hundred thousand dollars worth of surgery done to yourself. Picking up the pieces is never fun, and the ladies really arent impressed by your stupidity. Be cool, be safe, then drive it like you stole it - Nick

Rear seat belt ass'y pics coming up. Look for 'em this week.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Very very good thread Steve. Since I am starting to race my car more and more on raceways, I really need to look more into safety equipment. I dont even have a roll bar right now. Yes I know its very stupid to run without one. I am slowly trying to piece more and more parts together to make my car safer. I could care less how they look which makes this thread perfect for me. As mentioned before your car has inspired me in many ways. I would like to see a safety article in PHR magazine as soon as possible. I have a simple fear of my car burning up yet I was too stupid to buy a simple fire extinguisher. If my car had ever caught fire I would have kicked my own a$$ forever.
      You should make a check up list of safety features for a car like fire extinguisher, seats, roll bar, seat belts, loose items in the car like those speakers.
      My car is currently a perfect example of a PT car that needs a reality check in safety.
      Adam_______Offical Car Name "ILLUSION"
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

If you buy a street/strip rollbar or roll cage kit andinstall it yourself, the job can be done for under $1500. Things get expensive when you get creative. The ultimate goal in a pro-touring car is to maximize safety while minimizing inconvenience, so some custom bars are required.

For example, a typical NHRA legal door bar is flat out in the way. Not such a big deal when getting into the car, but really annoying when getting out. The obvious solution is a swing out bar, but the typical swing out bar is really designed for straight line racing where risks of a side impact are low. The possibility of a door/side impact is much higher in a road course setting. Furthermore, when you try to achieve dual NHRA and SCCA compliance, you now must accomodate a sill bar in the same area. Sounds like a pain in the ass, but if you stare at it long enough, the presence of a sill bar opens up flexibility in designing the door bar. I'm very happy with my non swing out door bar/sill bar design EXCEPT that I really wish that my A-pillar bar went thru the top of the dash instead of behind the dash. Other than that, the only thing missing is an additional vertical bar that connects the sill bar to the door bar alongside the seat. Ooh, one more: The leading edge of the door bar could have been closer to the sill bar. Okay other than those three things, I really like the design.
      Custom bent tubes are the only way to restore some convenience without sacrificing strength. All told, my 100% custom cage cost around $3K. I could have saved money by starting with a standard NHRA kit and then only making some bars. The following picture gets around more than a $5 crack-ho. I guess people really dig the design.

EDIT: The cheapie roll bar padding is gone. Look close, and you can also see the fire system pull handle where the cig lighter used to be (The bezel says "Lighter", the handle says "FIRE!"). Also evident is our first attempt at manumatic shifting: A coupla trans-brake buttons and coil cords.

Steve,
      Not sure if you read my reply but I was wondering if you have a fire extinguisher anywhere in your car?
      Burning to death in my car is the only real fear I have in life. (well burning to death in general scares me)
      383 Stroker, Stock cast heads, T-56 tranny, 4.11 gears, 2002 T/A dash, 4th gen interior including seatbelts, power lumbar seats, 18" Budnik Wheels, Hydraboost, QA1 shocks, DC Controller, Power steering conversion, fuel cell, unique exhaust set up........
      ILLUSION Website-----------Old Website--------------My Car on Lateral-g.net----------- Need something designed?-AdFabDesign

The Firebottle is under the dash where the heater box used to be. The two port nozzle is in the dash just to the left of the glove box door. Noneof this is hard if you are building a race car. A monkey can do it. Just follow the rulebook. The challenge comes when trying to make all this stuff work in a multi-purpose vehicle. The brain must be switched to the ON position. Get creative!!

Edit: I'l take more detailed cage pics and post them for everyone's benefit. Give me a coupla days. I want to pull the passenger seat for best camera access (it's gotta come out anyway to redo the shelf.)

Yup. I have a fire extinguisher mounted to one of the bars behind the seat. If you don't mind, try to mount it between the seats on the tunnel.

Between the rear bucket seats is where I was planning on mounting mine. I was just concerned how well they bolt into place. Just want to make sure any of the straps or brackets would hold up in an accident. Is there a special place to buy car extinguishers or can I just pick one up from a local store and make my own brackets? I really need to get one before my April event.

Making your own brackets is a challenge because they need to be quick release. Get one "anywhere", but examine the brackets. Placement is a compromise between easy and quick accessibility and safety (projectile). Mine will be moved to the leadinng edge of the rear shelf so that I can twist around, pull on the latches and spring into action like a greek ninja.

Greek ninja.
      I am thinking some sort of quick pin release. However the pin and brackets would have to be thick enought to not snap in half upon a collision.
      All this discussion reminds me of the episode of Myth Busters where they tested all the objects that go flying in a car collision. Very good episode.
      I have always called those speakers (like you have in your car) "Torpedos". I just laugh when I see those speakers setting in the back windows of high school kids cars.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com