Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      I' smellin what your cookin Steve. Haven't brought it up much because the "does it look cool" crowd tends to get their shorts in a bunch when anything like criticism (constructive or otherwise) is brought up. So I've taken a "live and let live/or die" approach figuring that we are all adults and ultimately responsible for ourselves. But in retrospect that is not the right thing to do if I am to call myself someone who gives a $^it about people and the future of this avocation. Which I do.
      That's where I'm at. I stopped frequenting the Safety topic for just this reason. So I fugured the only way to break the chain is to start with a reality check. The sign on the front of this room should say WARNING: Leave your vanity at the door or don't come in. This topic among all others is not about what looks cool or what is convenient to install

Started a seat thread a couple days ago.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Damn True
      Started a seat thread a couple days ago.
      Seen it. As mentioned, there was no single thread prompted this.

I know, just letting you know so we didn't have redundant discussions in different threads.
      True T.

Whats new with Project 1/2-Trak?

Follow my wisecracks on Sports, Food, Politics and other BS on Twitter.

My blog

When they kick out your front door, How you gonna come?
      With your hands on your head, Or on the trigger of your gun?

Thanks Steve for starting this thread. I have to admit that safety has not really been a huge concern of mine, even though I have been involved in a fairly serious accident. The accident was in a modern vehicle with airbags... have to give props to the bags. I think I have been kidding myself about the likelyhood of getting into an accident in the Camaro. Even though it is a weekend/pleasure vehicle, you just never know when your number is coming up. I am really going to take steps to improve the safety of my car. Possibly the best slap in the face I ever had.
      Thanks again, Brett

Quote Originally Posted by vanzuuk1
      Steve,when we take our bikes out this summer prepare to be teased for wearing a brain bucket instead of a full face.
      Why don't you wear full-face helmets?

I always wear a full face, even on a mountain bike.

Hey, maybe I'm crazy, but I think real safety does look cool! Sure, race seats, harnesses, fire suppression systems, roll bars, huge drilled/slotted discs, etc. always looks cool. But I even think a good set of seats with head rests (or highbacks), 3 point belts, a conveniently mounted fire extinguisher, and other simple safety stuff looks cool, as long as it's functional. I've been building my car as a street driven daily driver, so a full cage and Kirkley seats don't make sense for me. But new 3 point retractable belts, late model OEM highback seats (with reinforced mounting holes), a rear firewall, a fire extinguisher, OEM Ford 4 wheel discs, and several other upgrades work well and will make me feel safer driving around (esepcially with my son in his car seat in the back).

I guess I'm like the rest of ya'll who are tired of seeing posers with more money than sense (cents?) making poor choices for the sake of image. I'm a function-meets-form kinda guy. That's the way I've tried to build my car and it's what I look for and admire in others' rides.

I plan on doing a large story on safety in the next few months. Everything from seats to harnesses to fire supression.

If I had a dollar for every poorly built "street" roll cage I've seen.. I can just picture their head smashing against the halo.. :(
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

Quote Originally Posted by David Pozzi
      jp,
      For that reason, I'm only doing a roll bar on my 67 Camaro. I'm concerned about getting hit on the street and my head contacting a cage bar on the left side of my head. Camaros are pretty tight in that area, when I autocrossed the car, my helmet would sometimes hit the trim strip above the door.
      That is why I am leaving my car with no backseat.. it would be foolish to put ANYONE in a back seat when you have almost any design of roll bar or cage.

Very good topic

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

I thought I would post this link again so more would know that better rollbar padding is available.

http://www.rollbarpadding.com/

Since the everyday padding sold for years is considered useless and I still haven't bought mine yet but am getting close, maybe now would be a great time to make a group purchase on rollbar padding.

On another note about saftey I have been installing my battery cables and have a kill switch mounted on the rear panel as required in a lot of racing sanctions, it is an extra 7 ft. of cable to do it and it will be setup to kill the alternator also. I keep telling myself that adding another switch on the inside of the car so I can kill the power from the driver seat is a good idea but the routing of that 2/0 cable is heavy and the likelyhood of having the time to hit it in the event of an accident will be slim. So how many here have a kill switch they can reach to shut it all down inside the cabin? Part of me tells me to install one inside and part of me tells me that I can use the ignition if I am aware of the problem and have the time to do something either way. I also think if I had the time and choice I would rather hit a fire extinguisher release instead.

Where a person draw the line on saftey and need for saftey equipment is is as bad as getting people to wear saftey glasses at work. You keep telling yourself you should never need it, but it just isn't true. You always need it before you need it.

The nice thing about my battery kill switch is that it is a newer push style from Flaming River and if I get hit in the rear it will more than likely kill the power upon impact. Whether it will stop the wires from getting cut into and still causing a short and some sparks,who knows. But it is one more little thing that might help.

Most of all saftey begins with the driver and making safe decisions will keep you out of trouble long before saftey equipment will need to save you.

I could go on and on and back Steevo up all day long. There are sections that saftey can be divided into and putting a priority on them might help along with revealing the cost of doing them. Some saftey features can be just simply doing an installation in a different way as has been stated many times and cost has nothing to do with it.

I also want to thankyou Steevo for introducing me to the Racepumps fuel pump. I no longer have to worry of having my electric fuel pump spewing fuel all over the place in case of an accident. It is truly a saftey device all in its own with fuel injected cars yet isn't probably considered a saftey device to some an really doesn't cost any more than a good electric fuel pump setup.

Jim Nilsen

Rear seats and cages

I think rear seats and cages can work if the rear seats have harnesses that do not allow the passengers to come into contact with the tubing (which I admit can be difficult to design out of the way in most of our cars). If I ever get into a big enough accident with a passenger and their harness fails to the point that they contact the cage, or the car crushes inward causing a tube to contact a passenger, I figure they would have been in pretty bad shape anyway even without a cage. I realize that there are probably many examples of rear seat passengers being hurt by roll cages, but I bet most if not all of these injuries did not include harnesses worn as designed.

Excellent points made, each of us needs to really think about those that may be riding in the back seats, as their safety is no less important than ours. I will have to rethink my cage and seating setup when the time comes to install the cage (late 2006).
      Jeff
      1971 RS Camaro: PAINKILLER

Quote Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2
      I plan on doing a large story on safety in the next few months. Everything from seats to harnesses to fire supression.

If I had a dollar for every poorly built "street" roll cage I've seen.. I can just picture their head smashing against the halo.. :(
      Given the amount of information that could be presented, perhaps separate articles on those areas could explore in greater depth. A detailed article on installing a sound fire supression system would be of more value than it being one/several paragraphs in one large coverage.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

Steve, how about a series on safety? Do it in order. Choose the right seats for you, then go with harnesses, then how to properly design a roll bar/cage. Next up could be proper fire suppression and power kill switches. In each article you can elude to what's coming up next. The more people that know, the better.

Now, the fact that I've decided to remove my rear seat isn't helping me as MrQuick is tyin to talk me into a mini tub and a three link, but it will help me with my idea for a cage. I want to design one for structural integrity, without being a "Full Race" cage. Similar to both what Steevo has in his streetfighter, and to what Tony Whatley put in his red 69. There's no saying that you can't make something that's functional look pretty too though. My car won't be driven every day anymore. I plan on having fun with it. Some parts may look "racecar", being the cage and seats and guages and stuff, but the detail in the finish won't be. Mainly because I'm anal about looks. Worse than that, I'm anal about proper safety. That means that I'm keeping the stock three point harness in the car for regular street driving, and having the 5 or 6 point harness for when I take the car to the track. There's legal issues there too though.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

First thanks for starting this thread.

I have been wanting to install a cage in my car for months now, but I would be dumb for just walking in and having some circle track guy install one in my application. I for one would greatly appreciate if someone could do a series like Rick suggested.
      Andrew Petty

How does one go about publishing articles on P-T.com or is it just done in the form of a post?

Quote Originally Posted by streetfytr68
      How does one go about publishing articles on P-T.com or is it just done in the form of a post?
      Want to write one for PHR?

If so I could pitch the idea, it is certainly a topic that needs addressing.

I envisioned an overall introduction story about general safety then specific ones on roll cages, fire suppression and such.

Thoughts?

1968 Track Rat Camaro:

.....I envisioned an overall introduction story about general safety then specific ones on roll cages, fire suppression and such.

Thoughts?
      Well, that would be good for a start. Most people don't know what it all entails though. Going through rule books and explaining that kind of thing would be good too.

Steevo, I think in the future you may be able to do an article on the site. Talk to Larry or Ralph about it.
      Allen Ortega
      Meanstreets Performance Fabrication

---------------------------------------

Vegetarians are the reason for global warming

Want to write one for PHR?

If so I could pitch the idea, it is certainly a topic that needs addressing.

I envisioned an overall introduction story about general safety then specific ones on roll cages, fire suppression and such.

Thoughts?
      I'd rather help you compile and write it. May as well email me pix of your cage and I'll pick out the strengths and weakness of both our designs. But the site can't wait for the usual magazine lead time, so it will have to run here and in the magazine concurrently. Ask Mr. Wonderful if that's okay. Actually, I'll just talk to both you and Johnny at MPMC in two weeks. --And don't forget: Dan Nicholas (Jet) is bringing Poker chips and enough Jack Daniels to drown Dean Martin.

Allen,
      Let's try to do better. Bug Larry and Ralph about the best way for me to submit pix and text. Deadline: January 16 (of this year)

Cool. Let me know how I can help. I need to buy seats, foam, and harness. Rear seat and its harness can be covered too.

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com