Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

GM A-body shock angle question

The rear shocks on a 69 GM A-body are tilted inward at the top. For a Pro-Touring application is it best to leave it alone? I want to use coilovers and I can modify it to put the shocks wherever I want.

There's no simple answer other than don't lean them more than 25-degrees, as there are theories as to which is better, angled or straight up and down.
      DSE typically place them straight up and down.
      ridetech typically angles them around 15-degrees. We did this for packaging and added wheel travel.
      The more angle they have, the less effective they are, but the wheel travels slightly more. So I typically upped the spring rate and shock force accordingly (which really wasn't much).
      Get the lower mounting point as far out as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
      There's no simple answer other than don't lean them more than 25-degrees, as there are theories as to which is better, angled or straight up and down.
      DSE typically place them straight up and down.
      ridetech typically angles them around 15-degrees. We did this for packaging and added wheel travel.
      The more angle they have, the less effective they are, but the wheel travels slightly more. So I typically upped the spring rate and shock force accordingly (which really wasn't much).
      Get the lower mounting point as far out as you can.
      Good information. Thank you! I've always been a drag racer and we like them straight up and down. Of course we don't care about turning. I'm building my first Pro-Touring car and learning how to make one handle. I thought maybe angled was a little better, but I was guessing.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com