Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

What will my car run in the standing mile?

I got the chance last fall to run the 1/2 mile at the SSCC. The car ran 141. I am going to run the mile this year, and I am curious what those with experience think it will run.
      It is a '69 Mustang fastback with a 521 in it. It put 554hp/598tq to the ground. It has a wide ratio toploader and a GearVendor in it with 3.50 gears.
      The car is lowered all the way around, no aero done to it other than the factory rear spoiler and front air dam.
      Crossing the traps in the low side of 4th, it was just bumping the rev limiter.
      At the rev limiter in the high side of 4th, the math works out to 187mph.
      I feel like mid 170's is in the ballpark. What say you?Name:  Mustang numbered.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  858.5 KB

Depends on how big your balls are!!!

I know its not the nicest thing to say! But are you ready for that! The Car ready and prepped for that!!!

There's all kinds of scenarios that could and can happen and thats a nice looking car, would hate to see something happen to you and the car,

Its sound like fun, I'd love to do it! well, here in Florida people try it every day on the major highways!! LOL

my brother has a 18' ZL1 Camaro and he's actually looking at track days and standing mile events, he's in Texas and slowly prepping the car for events.

With what you have as engine trans gears, sounds like its ready to go, waiting to see the video and results when you do it!!! Good Luck!
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

A lot goes into going way fast top end, more than just the calculation. What is the peak hp rpm? How far does it rev out for a useable rpm range without floating the valves? The hood scoop and rear spoiler are not helping top speed at all. Love what you are doing with it, 69 Fastback was my first car and still kinda miss it. For top end stuff, rpm and wheel speed are your friend, especially with a manual trans. With that much ci, me personally, i would not bother at all with a gear vendors. Either go straight T56 or leave the top loader and 3.00 rear gears and let the motor pull. Camming/intake will help the whole combo. What size exhaust do you have on their? If it's less than a min of dual 3.5in w/ x pipe and really free flowing mufflers, you are choking it for sure.

I ran the TX mile this past April in my 2012 Mustang GT w/ a Vortech at 10psi. My best speed was 161. But with the vortech and my lack of control of my right foot, tire spin is an issue. Stock mustangs were running about the same speed (no tire spin issues). You are making good torque with that big block. I noticed my car lay down shifting from 5th at 7200rpm going into 6th. Then at 4000rpm after the shift. Not much boost there so I gained very little mph in 6th. I have 3.73 gears and stock height tires. Your big block probably won't lay down like mine did. I think your estimate is close. A friend was there w/ a fox body w/ a 427 small block and 5 speed. He ran 174mph. You will find that the mile is pretty much like the half, just at speed a little longer. It took me about 33 seconds to complete the mile. Just apply the brakes gradually when finished and you will be ok.

very interested to find out how you do and how the car feels. I have a 70 Mach 1, and I'm curious to hear how that late 60's aero does at 170+

beautiful car btw.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

Thanks for the replies, but it was all for naught.
      I found out I misread the rules, and can't run the mile until my third year running the SSCC.
      I plan on running Grand Touring (125 mph class) this year if I can afford fuel to get down there. I will also run the 1/2 mile shootout again.
      Running 90 miles at 125 mph should be a blast. I ran 110 last year and missed my target time by 3 seconds.

Why 3 years? Seat time?

Grand Touring sounds like fun. Do what you can do, Where are they running? Texas right?
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

The rules are set up to only allow you to move up one class per year. I ran the Touring class last year, Grand touring this year (maybe) and the third year I can step up to Grand Sport. I can't go any further than that with this car due to cage requirements.
      You can't run the mile unless you are in Grand Sport or higher.
      The race is in Nevada, from Lund to Hiko on 318.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Pstroke View Post
      The rules are set up to only allow you to move up one class per year. I ran the Touring class last year, Grand touring this year (maybe) and the third year I can step up to Grand Sport. I can't go any further than that with this car due to cage requirements.
      You can't run the mile unless you are in Grand Sport or higher.
      The race is in Nevada, from Lund to Hiko on 318.
      Saw that race on the tube where they were following some guy with a Camaro running it. Definitely want the cage for that one because not everyone makes it to the other side in one piece.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

My bad, I thought you were running just a mile. This sounds like more fun tho. Rules for running something like the Texas mile are much simpler if you run 199 mph or slower.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com