Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: LS3 misfire

Country Flag: United States

LS3 misfire

Good afternoon,

I’ve got a g body with an ls3, tsp cam, ported heads and TREMEC magnum. It’s run by a Holley terminator x max. I drove the car 35 miles this morning with no issue and on my way home it started to misfire. It’s a single misfire when cruising. It’s random and without rhyme or reason. The tach will drop when it misfires. Cruising along at 65-75 mph and it will just hit once and then resume as normal. Smooth under acceleration. Any ideas? Thank you.

Are you able to read codes? If you don’t have a tool, you can get yourself an OBD dongle then download an app on your iPhone (car scanner elm). If you have an android (torque) and read the diagnostic codes. Could be something as simple as a cracked/broken wire or terminal or connector.

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Are you able to read codes? If you don’t have a tool, you can get yourself an OBD dongle then download an app on your iPhone (car scanner elm). If you have an android (torque) and read the diagnostic codes. Could be something as simple as a cracked/broken wire or terminal or connector.
      i have a Holley terminator x, no obd port. The malfunction lights on the Holley don’t show anything. I’ve been checking the wiring harness where I can get to it and haven’t found anything yet. My thought is that based on the rpm drop on the tach that it could be a crank sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by 1985olds View Post
      i have a Holley terminator x, no obd port. The malfunction lights on the Holley don’t show anything. I’ve been checking the wiring harness where I can get to it and haven’t found anything yet. My thought is that based on the rpm drop on the tach that it could be a crank sensor.
      Are any of the Terminator X ECU LEDs turning red? If I can help with the tuning, email me: projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Are any of the Terminator X ECU LEDs turning red? If I can help with the tuning, email me: projectgattago at gmail dot com

Andrew
      no lights changing to red. I checked idling and while driving. I might have to take you up on that. Im going to change the crank sensor because I have a spare and if it doesn’t help I’m going to data log.

Not to knock on Holley, but this was a big motivator for me going with a factory E38. Having real diagnostic capability when something goes wrong.
      Andy

1967 Camaro RS
      Magnacharged LS1/T56
      543 rwhp, 516 rwtq
      Sold

1968 Firebird
      LS427/570 and T56 Magnum

^^^Completely agree. I run a Dominator, and problem solving is a MF. Best advice, pull the plugs. There are some primitive tools built into the software so you can monitor crank and cam sensors, they also can cause misfires. Other than that, likely plugs or wires. Cheap plug wires are typically the number 1. I put mine away for the winter one time, (less than 1000miles on it) took it off the lift in the spring, nasty misfires. Tried everything, including plugs, fuel filter, had injectors cleaned, swapped sensors, etc. After all said and done, wires....

Quote Originally Posted by ORBandit View Post
      ^^^Completely agree. I run a Dominator, and problem solving is a MF. Best advice, pull the plugs. There are some primitive tools built into the software so you can monitor crank and cam sensors, they also can cause misfires. Other than that, likely plugs or wires. Cheap plug wires are typically the number 1. I put mine away for the winter one time, (less than 1000miles on it) took it off the lift in the spring, nasty misfires. Tried everything, including plugs, fuel filter, had injectors cleaned, swapped sensors, etc. After all said and done, wires....
      The Holley EFI systems provide a vast array of data that one can monitor. All these data offer clues as to what might be happening.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by ORBandit View Post
      The wires are not new but not old and gm. I’ll ohm test them. It’s such a weird misfire, if it was any lighter it probably wouldn’t be noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

The Holley EFI systems provide a vast array of data that one can monitor. All these data offer clues as to what might be happening.

Andrew
      I really need to get more familiar with all of the capabilities in the holley

The wires are not new but not old and gm. I’ll ohm test them. It’s such a weird misfire, if it was any lighter it probably wouldn’t be noticeable.

- - - Updated - - -

I really need to get more familiar with all of the capabilities in the holley
      Make sure the two grounds at the back of the heads are tight.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Make sure the two grounds at the back of the heads are tight.

Andrew
      will do! Thank you

How long ago did you purchase this? I know within the last yr or so, they have been have some very common harness issues. Some guys are buying the ECU and getting aftermarket harnesses made for Holley systems.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by csouth View Post
      How long ago did you purchase this? I know within the last yr or so, they have been have some very common harness issues. Some guys are buying the ECU and getting aftermarket harnesses made for Holley systems.
      the Holley I have is about 3 years old

the Holley I have is about 3 years old
      Email me. I can log in using TeamViewer software and see what's going on in real time. You'll need a Windows laptop and the USB to CAN cable, Holley part number 558-443. Email: projectgattago at Gmail dot com

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Andrew
      Agree. What I more or less stated. That said, troubleshooting is terrible compared to GM. After using HPT for a 15yrs, switching to Holley has its benefits, but their are clear downsides. This being one of them.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com