Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Remote mount power steering for the LS3 into a 1st Gen Camaro?

Hey all,

Helping a friend with their LS3 into a 1968 Camaro. We ran into an issue where the power steering reservoir is making contact with the upper control arm. I'm looking for a way to make his setup work without having to change his accessory system since it's new and what came on the engine he purchased. We removed the reservoir for now to get the engine in.

I'm looking to see if anyone makes a remote kit that works with the stock power steering pump. I can make lines if needed, just curious if there are kits out there, or if anyone makes the low pressure press-fitting that is molded into the reservoir that pushes into the pump.

Cheers for any/all direction.

Name:  LS3Photo.png
Views: 271
Size:  2.00 MB

I think I would try a C5 pump and a remote reservoir and see if the C5 pump will bolt up to the supplied bracket. The current setup kind of looks like a truck pump and reservoir?

Country Flag: United States
      Lots of remote reservoirs out there. Just be sure to mount it high and use vacuum rated hose between the reservoir and pump or it can collapse. I am guessing the manufacturer of that accessory drive can supply one too.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/.../universal/yes

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks. I am more curious about the pump, since the stock reservoir has a molded fitting that pushes into the pump and appears to be held by the reservoir itself being pushed into the two clips. Just want to ensure I can find a fitting that will work there and stay held in. Will have to look at it again tomorrow and take a photo.

Friend is calling pulley maker too as I think they have a remote kit. I just feel bad he's having to replace new stuff, so trying to mitigate any rework for him moving forward.

Isn't that the CVF racing setup?? I ordered mine with the remote reservoir cause I heard that there is a problem with the power steering reservoir with that system on 1st gens..Call them i'm sure they will take care of it.

Isn't that the CVF racing setup?? I ordered mine with the remote reservoir cause I heard that there is a problem with the power steering reservoir with that system on 1st gens..Call them i'm sure they will take care of it.

Looks like a type 2 Saginaw style pump. U can call cjr steering in North Carolina. Think u just put fittings in after u remove the tank.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com