Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1932 Ford model bb tow rig for pro touring cars

If this isn't allowed please delete. I have had a few people ask me to post this build here and it isn't a pro touring build but it will be my tow rig for my pro touring car and business when they are done.

I started my business building hotrods and resto mods so needed something to reflect my business and bought this 1932 Ford model BB tow truck as my new tow rig. I just sold my ZL1 Camaro to fund this build also and to give my business a healthy kick start.
      Plans are to build it into an extra cab for more leg room and possibly chop the top a couple inches to give it that hot rod look. I will be running full fenders and hood to be able to daily it in Oregon where it rains a lot. For driving around town it will have the old tow truck look to keep it fun but also going to put a gooseneck in it while building the frame to be able to haul heavier trailers. I bought an Isuzu frame for it so I can update the brakes and everything else to be more modern from the old mechanical brakes. On the fence about an engine still but was planning on putting my 5.3 LS engine in it with a supercharger for the extra torque for towing, that and who doesn't want everything they own forced induction!
      If you have any ideas or questions feel free to ask.

Towing it home last month

And that weekend the Isuzu frame showed up.

Last picture of it stock for a family event I had.

Cab off today getting it finished torn down and almost ready for the metal work. :D

Looks like a fun project, ls 6.0 or 6.2 with truck cam can make a great tow rig engine, can always add force induction at a later time if needed

Country Flag: United States
      That's a good looking cab. Less rust than most.

Thank you. I would like to do a 6.0 LS but they are through the roof right now. I have been watching for an old work truck or van with a 6.0 for a good price but nothing yet.
      I agree that the rust is very minimal on this truck and makes it nice that most of the screws and bolts came out after soaking them for a couple weeks with penetrant. Also not having to to a ton of patch panels also.

It has been a hard last few days but the top is now chopped three inches. I ordered a bead roller that will be here tomorrow and can't wait to start learning how to use it! It should make making parts a lot easier than how I have been doing it by hand. Now that the top is chopped I am hoping to have time to start on the extra cab later this week or next week.

Looks so much better. Its amazing how much 3 inches changes the looks

Not a lot of progress but wanted to update. :D

Here is where I am! I decided to stretch the cab 12 inches and getting ready to make a new floor.

I got my bead roller last week and have been trying all kinds of stuff with it to learn how to use it and what dies do what.

Just a piece of scrap practicing making the body lines and also the window for my extra cab portion. This isn't a part I am going to use just practice but really wishing that I had bought a bead roller years ago.

Nice! Reg cabs have their places but part of pro touring is touring. An extended cab truck is a far more comfortable ride for long distance touring than a reg cab with the rigid, upright seat with your head right on the back glass.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Agreed! Being tall has it's drawbacks lol

Man, this is such a cool project. Been wanting to do something like this for a while now. I've seen a few COE conversions that I really like, but I dig where you're headed with this?
      What part of Oregon are you in?
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

I am in Salem Oregon. I did look for a COE but they were either way to much money or rusted more than I wanted to deal with and I have always loved the model A’s and B’s.

What a cool project!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Sorry for the absence, I was on vacation then got Covid and that has set me back a little. I am still feeling a little down but was going stir crazy laying around the house so have been putting around in the shop the last couple days.

I am still learning how to use the bead roller but getting better with every piece.

My new extra cab panels.

And welded in! Starting to look like I want.

Great job with those panels! They look great from here! I really like the look of the cab too. Could almost be stock.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Thank you! I wasn’t planning to work on it today but something came up so hopefully going to get the roof done today also. :D

You're going to get there.

After living in my house for almost 20 years and winning it in a really nasty divorce I have decided to sell and move out to the mountains. I am not putting this or other car projects on hold but will be seriously slowed down with cleaning and packing along with looking at houses. This is to have more room for my business along with not having to worry about theft as much. So updates will not be as frequent for a while until I am settled into a new shop. Just looked at 58 acre lot with 40x60 shop and cozy house!

Very cool project and great shop truck tow truck idea. Take shows park in front of the business show off your skills. I love it.
      And although the 5.3 is awesome little engine, I'd want more cubic inches for the tow rig. Just a thought. A 6.0 iron block would be nice, or better yet a stroked 6.2! Of course either way a forced induction for torque!
      Jason
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Thank you, I also think it will be very unique for my hot rod shop business logo. Plans are to to get the roof done and epoxy on the cab in the next few weeks so I can put it temporarily back together to make easier to move. Don't like moving but can't wait to get out of my 20x30 shop and be able to spread my arms around a new bigger shop.

Quote Originally Posted by TANKMASTERJ View Post
      Very cool project and great shop truck tow truck idea. Take shows park in front of the business show off your skills. I love it.
      And although the 5.3 is awesome little engine, I'd want more cubic inches for the tow rig. Just a thought. A 6.0 iron block would be nice, or better yet a stroked 6.2! Of course either way a forced induction for torque!
      Jason
      Its a different cost ballpark than a junkyard 5.3 ls but a 7.3 Ford Godzilla would be perfect in this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com