Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Axle Bearing Retainer

I've never dealt with a 9" rear end before and I'm wondering if axle bearing retainers are supposed to look like this when they're tightened up. Am I missing something? Really could use some input on this.

Name:  IMG_4223D.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  322.6 KB

Either wrong bearings, too long or axles too long. That is not right.

The A20 bearings will stick out a bit. They are tapered so getting the preload right matters.

Where is your backing plate or caliper bracket?
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      The A20 bearings will stick out a bit. They are tapered so getting the preload right matters.

Where is your backing plate or caliper bracket?
      This X2. Some of that difference is taken up on a stock 9 by the drum brake backing plate. Most disc conversions that bolt on actually have to put a spacer ring inside the caliper bracket to allow the retainer to still contact the bearing.

The parking brake brackets on my Baer kit has grooves to accommodate a bearing, however, there's still a gap between the bracket and the housing ends. The bolts in the photo are not tightened, just snugged up. I suspect the gap will close some if I tighten the bolts, but concerned about trashing the bearing or bending the bracket. Or am I ok?

Name:  IMG_4224D.jpeg
Views: 156
Size:  306.0 KB

As you tighten the bracket down the seal collapses a bit and you should end up flush.

Check the other side, is it the same? I have had axles that are just a fuzz too long as there are some variances in differentials.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

The other side is the same. Out of curiosity I installed the rotor hat and wheel and found I have a slight rubbing on the back edge of the hat with the bracket. I'll go ahead and tighten the bolts and see where I'm at. Thanks for the help!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com