Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS 3 Water Pump Hose Location

I have a LS3 With the upper radiator hose slightly on the driver side. I see a lot of cars with it on the passenger side and both hoses upper and lower connecting to the radiator on the same side[passenger side]. Is my water pump a reverse flow that I need to change or am I ok to get a radiator with the upper hose on the driver side and lower on passenger side? Thanks.

I can't speak to the LS3 pump but the reason that most LS swaps that need a new radiator use one with both ports on the passenger side it makes the hose routing a bit easier. Also makes the intake tube routing to the drivers side a bit easier.

Country Flag: United States
      It is not reverse flow. They all flow the same afaik. There are a couple versions of water pump depending on what accessories you have.

Swap radiators generally have both connections on the passenger side but it’s not mandatory.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

dhutton is correct, they all flow the same. Intake is bottom hose nipple w/ thermostat, outlet is top.

The difference in the top neck is due to vehicle packaging/engineering choices during manufacturing.

The only thing you have to worry about is pulley spacing and upper neck placement to clear your intake / hose routing.

I have an 05 LQ4 6.0. Truck pulley and LS3 pulley spacing are the same. I switched to an LS3 water pump to match the upper hose location on my chevelle. This is the best pic I have hosted of it:

*Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by GTO Jack View Post
      I have a LS3 With the upper radiator hose slightly on the driver side. I see a lot of cars with it on the passenger side and both hoses upper and lower connecting to the radiator on the same side[passenger side]. Is my water pump a reverse flow that I need to change or am I ok to get a radiator with the upper hose on the driver side and lower on passenger side? Thanks.
      What youre seeing is a dual pass radiator when both hoses are on one side. Theres a divider internally in the radiator.

All pumps flow the same direction for your question at hand.
      Matt
      72 Chevelle 370ci, 76mm single turbo, TKX, Speedtech Track Time, Millerbuilt Strange full floater 9", Brembo brakes, BC Forged 18x11s with 315s square
      Instagram: Cst_koon

Thanks all, just wanted to be sure. I know GM did have different water pumps a few years back so I'm good then. The duel pass thing makes sense as to how it would cool with that design. I will decide what way the top hose will go and buy the correct radiator for that configuration. Thanks.

This is what can happen when one hose connection is on the driver side. Gets a little tight for intake tube. This was a custom C&R radiator with integrated oil, power steering and transmission coolers and that’s the only way it could be done. They sent me a drawing to approve and I didn’t catch the connection on drivers side. It’s tight but I did McGuyver it. It’s an awesome radiator though.

Don
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      This is what can happen when one hose connection is on the driver side. Gets a little tight for intake tube. This was a custom C&R radiator with integrated oil, power steering and transmission coolers and that’s the only way it could be done. They sent me a drawing to approve and I didn’t catch the connection on drivers side. It’s tight but I did McGuyver it. It’s an awesome radiator though.

Don
      That's a work of art going on under that hood. Love the factory sort of look with the air cleaner.
      I need to find a way to do that with my GM A-body.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post

Don
      My car is set up the same way Don, any chance you can share the water hose and air intake set up you used? It's extremely tight on space.
      A day late and a dollar short!

Not a LSA but still LS swaps.
      The orange 73 Z28 had a Griffin radiator with the standard inlet and outlet.
      The red 68 C10 had a AFCO radiator with "LS" inlet and outlet.
      Both worked well. As said above the LS style radiator makes routing the intake tubing much easier.
      I'm too cheap to buy the custom radiators so I buy the biggest radiator I can fit.Name:  IMG_0043.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  347.9 KBName:  IMG_0215.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  337.7 KB

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com