Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ignition Timing/High temp Issues

Hi All, I have a 71 Firebird with a 400 MT. My shop recently installed a Sniper unit and Holley recommended the Dual Spark distributor with that. Those were installed at the same time as and Entropy radiator with dual power fans and the car seems to be running pretty hot. It tends to run hotter on the freeway or going up hills (up to about 220) than it does around town (190-205). I also seem to get an occasional pop through the manifold at lower RPM. The car ran a bit cooler than this with the Sniper and an HEI on stock radiator. At this point, I'm not sure if this is a timing issue causing it to heat up or a cooling system issue. I was wondering if someone could share some thoughts and maybe provide some baseline timing settings? Current settings:

Timing at idle: 16
      Timing at cruise: 30
      Timing at WOT: 32
      Boost timing retard: 0
      Cranking timing: 15

TIA

Joe

Country Flag: United States
      Did you confirm timing with a light after the Dual Spark was installed?

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

I'm not sure if they did, but I will check. Thanks

Yes they did confirm that. Do you have recommendations for timing settings on this car?

Country Flag: United States
      Your cruise timing seems a bit low. Each engine combo is different, on my small block Olds I have 18* at idle, low 40's at cruise, and around 34-35* WOT.

This timing map was created before the last few tweaks to WOT were done, so they are still in a bit low here. If you're confident the cooling system is working properly, I would highly suggest having your Sniper professionally tuned. It really makes a big difference, andrewb70 is a member here and has great reviews on tuning Holley systems.

Name:  Sniper Spark.PNG
Views: 101
Size:  505.9 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Thanks, I will try adding more timing at cruise. I'm not sure how to read the chart. Are those color temps?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com