Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

el camino system

So i am getting to the point that i need to start to plan for the audio system with wiring and and everything. i do like a good audio system. as of now i have no system parts at all. i will be going with a double din radio so i can have apple car play and maps. i like the idea of going with a 3 way component system in the front. i also like the sound of silk dome tweeters. has any one used fesler kick or a piller's? i was also thinking about 2 8" subs where the storage box is in the back. i have no ideas on what to do about rear speakers unless i cut into the b pillers. i am not even sure what speaker wire to use. its been a long time since i have put a system in a car. any suggestions on parts or ideas?
      thanks
      1970 Elcamino ls3/t56, ricks/vaporworx, sc&c afx ,forgeline zx3, kore3 z51/ls1
      1969 Camaro ls1/t56, ricks/vaporworx, ride-tech,forgeline ga3,
      1996 civic the car that makes it all possible

A stereo setup can be had for a modest budget or full on high end sound and audio control.
      But you can have something in between that will fit you el camino without too much hassle.

I have several simple setups of a head unit with 50w x4 and 4 6 1/2” speakers that sound good, and if you add even a budget subwoofer & amp it can sound great as you can let the sub produce the low notes, and the speakers have a cutoff around 200hz, either with a inline filter, or the head unit controlling the cutoff levels.
      Anytime you can fit a 6x9 in, and you will have a lot more selection.

Knowing your cabin size I would suggest a set of 6 1/2” in kick pods that have components (even a 5 1/2”) just try them out for size, as that 3rd pedal wants some space.
      I have set of kickpods in my car, and hated them the first 15 minutes, but the sound was amazing!
      If possible add some tweeters in the dash aimed up toward from the corners at the windshield and it will open up a huge soundstage.

You can shop for subwoofers in a sealed box that do not need much box, for example many 12” subwoofers use 1cubic foot, which do not have to be a square, so you make the box deep enough for the subwoofer, and the rest to fit into the area behind the seats, and add some pockets if you get crafty, and serve as an organizer for all the stuff rolling around.

A experiment I made was to get a cheap sub box, reinforce the internal seams with silicone, add Dynamat Xtreme inside, and a bit of poly fill, and the sub will really rock. I had the box for a month or 2, then updated the box, it was better, louder, cleaner, and I saved a ton.
      Your car can easily fit a 10” single subwoofer, and match an amp that can provide about 60-80% of the RMS watts the sub rating has. Also look for a subwoofer with high sensitivity, as it will provide more sound with less power.

I also insulate as a minimum the area around the speaker, it allows the speaker to perform better instead of just adding vibrations. After the sub experiment I went thru my interior and insulated the entire floor (36 square ft) the roof (about 25 sq ft) and a large part of the doors behind the stock panels, it made a huge difference, less road noise, more detailed music, it’s worth the time!

If you checkout Crutchfield.com you can learn a ton of info, they have a wide selection, and can also help you decide on your gear, they have specs for almost every car, and also give you some wire harnesses and bezel kits to make your installation a breeze.
      I have been buying from them for decades, and my musical taste has grown, they have gear to fit almost every budget and preference.

HTH

Dave
      84 Monte SS - just a few bolt-ons

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com