Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

64-72 A Body: Global West lower control arms, Varishock QS2, Hotchkis springs

Working on my car again, which means changing plans yet again... up this time is more front suspension stuff. These were all on my 69 Chevelle but will work on a 64-72 A body.

Reason for selling: I'm modifying the frame and changing to coilover-only lower arms and modding the frame for extended length true coilovers up front with spherical bearing mounts on both ends, so I don't need all these parts meant for conventional style springs and shocks.

First up: a set of Global West CTA-42L lower control arms with Del-A-Lum bushings. The shock area has been opened up a bit to allow installing the larger diameter Varishocks and their adjuster knobs from the bottom of the arm so you don't have to disconnect the spindle and lower the arm every time to install or remove the shocks (Global West makes the new arms this way.) Still in good shape. Bushings and sway bar heim joints are still in great shape. Powdercoating has a few marks in it here and there, mostly on the bottom of the spring pocket where I put a floor jack or jackstands when working on the car.

IMPORTANT NOTE: These lower arms originally had B-body ball joints in them, as I bought these about 18 years ago when I did a B-body spindle swap, which was the "hot setup" at the time. Since there are much better options without the b-body spindle drawbacks now like tall spindles or stock spindles with tall ball joints, I have pressed out the b-body ball joints and have installed brand new QA1 modular ball joint housings (A B-body ball joint body is a larger OD than an A-body balljoint, so you can't simply switch to a stock-style A-body balljoint.) You will need to purchase the QA1 ball joint stud for your application (#9029-228 for a stock height a-body stud or #9029-211 for +0.5" tall a-body stud, plus #9034-107 dust boots) and then install the studs when you receive the arms, which is a 10 minute job with the QA1 #1891-106 ball joint service tools.

Name:  armsqa11.jpg
Views: 1268
Size:  781.0 KB

Name:  armsqa12.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  870.2 KB

Next up: a set of Varishock QS2s. One has a slight surface scuff on the body where it contacted an off the shelf circle track threaded spring adjuster that located on the ID of the spring, and the threaded portion of the adjuster was too small to clear the shock body over the full travel range. I custom made spring spacers that instead registered on the OD of the spring that had a much larger ID than the threaded adjuster so the larger diameter varishocks wouldn't rub them anymore. No leaks, no shaft scratches, etc. They have about 5k miles on them. These shocks are slightly shorter than the "off the shelf" bolt in A-body shocks from Chassisworks, as my car was fairly low. The stock height A-body shocks from Alston were too compressed at my regular ride height and the shock body itself could contact the inside of the frame on full bump travel. Switching to a shorter shock fixed that. These are -4 length shocks with a 4.25" travel and 9.05" compressed length, 13.3" extended length, and an 10.75"-11.6" suggested ride height range.

Name:  varishocks.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  1.25 MB

Next up: several springs and spacers...

Previously I was running the car on 9.5" 750# tru-coils with the custom OD-registering spring spacers you can see in the pics. I ran them with 200# 11" single pigtail rear springs and the car drove and handled great-- pretty firm, but not teeth rattling.

Name:  springs2.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  873.1 KB

Also, I have a set of new in box Hotchkis big block 1" drop springs. These are 580#/in rate out of the box. I was going ditch the spring spacers and 9.5" circle track springs and switch to these Hotchkis springs and cut them as needed for final desired ride height (since the lower spring nest in the GW arms rotates, trimming the springs is an easy thing to do.) I figured they'd increase in rate to about 650#/in once trimmed to the final ride height I wanted.

Name:  springs.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  1.06 MB

Asking $400 for the arms with the new QA1 ball joint housings installed
      Asking $400 for the Varishocks
      or $750 for everything above (arms, shocks, springs.)

I would prefer to sell this locally and not have to ship it, but I am willing to split the shipping costs with a buyer. I'm near Lodi, CA and am willing to deliver or meet up half way within reason.

Pic of car shown for ride height reference so you can see how it sat on the 750# tru coils with the GW lower arms along with ATS tall spindles, and also so you can get a good idea for the working height of the Varishocks. Front crossmember was about 5.25" off the ground.

Name:  newheight.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  80.0 KB
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Just swapped the B-body balljoints in the arms for QA1 ball joint housings, they're now ready for the A-body ball joint stud of your choice (stock height or +0.5" depending if you have a tall or stock height spindle.)
      1969 Chevelle
      Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
      In progress: LS2, 3.0 Whipple, T56 Magnum, torque arm & watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, Mk60 ABS, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Moving these around the shop again today... back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Moving parts around the shop again, and moving this back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Bump with a price drop.
      1969 Chevelle

Bump.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top again.
      1969 Chevelle

Bump.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Bump.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Back to the top.
      1969 Chevelle

Still kicking these things around the shop... bump.
      1969 Chevelle

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com