Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2 pin connector for VSS GM 19417602 to Bowler All in One module

An adapter part #19417602 came with my GM GenV crate engine. I'm using the Bowler all in one adapter which has 2 speed sensor wires on it which can be set differently. The GM adapter goes from a 3 pin to a 2 pin connector with pink and brown wires going into it. Anyone know for sure what the wires in this 2 pin connector are? I'm guessing one is ground, and one the speed signal input but need to know so I can wire it up.

“The signal adapter should be removed if using a speed sensor with a Hall Effect/Digital output, typically a 3 pin sensor. The adapter box must be utilized if using a sensor with a variable reluctance VR/analog output, typically a 2 wire sensor.”

So it depends on what the Bowler box is supplying, an analog or digital signal. If it is configurable and has two wires then it should be configured as analog if that is an option. They should be able to help you figure it out.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

"The electronic speedometer output connection on the harness is equipped with 2 speed sensor outputs (PURPLE/WHITE & PURPLE/YELLOW); the speed sensor outputs generate a square wave signal that goes from about -5 to roughly +5 volts, varying in frequency as the speed changes. If your ECM needs a positive only input, the output will automatically shift and give you 0 to +10 volts. The 2 speed sensor outputs are completely independent and can be calibrated separately with any pulse count and ratio you want."

I believe 'Square Wave' is analog. The convertor from GM has 2 wires coming out in a twisted pair orange or pinkish and a brown one. I looked around a drawings for GM VSS harnesses and some talk about using a high a low signal wire as the 2 inputs which seems different, but to be clear that's not what this GM adapter says, I can't find any detail on it beyond what you quoted Don.

So would it matter which lead I use for ground and which for signal and will it damage it if I just have to guess and get it backwards? The person I spoke to at Bowler wasn't sure which wire would be which and suggested 1 should be ground but wasn't familiar with the GM convertor either. Is it odd that the input is a twisted pair when 1 wire would be ground and the Bowler harness is a single wire? (Guess I should have paid more attention in my one EE class but it was 7:30am)

The signal is what is referred to as a balanced signal as near as I can tell. It is intended to resemble the output of a variable reluctance sender. There is no ground, both wires move in opposite polarity to each other with the same signal. Just connect that signal directly to the GM adaptor. Don’t worry about polarity.

The AAW kit has some yellow/purple twisted pair wire for the VSS signal. I would use that.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks Don. There's 2 different speed outputs from the Bowler adapter, each has a single wire, they don't work together they are intended to be sources for VSS to two different devices and can be programmed for different pulse counts. One wire is for an ECM, the other if needed can go to a Speedometer or cruise control etc.

Just for clarification, I only have one wire to use to go from the Bowler adapter to the GM adapter. So you are saying hook that one wire to the GM adapter and should the other wire on the GM adapter goes to ground?

Quote Originally Posted by srode View Post
      Thanks Don. There's 2 different speed outputs from the Bowler adapter, each has a single wire, they don't work together they are intended to be sources for VSS to two different devices and can be programmed for different pulse counts. One wire is for an ECM, the other if needed can go to a Speedometer or cruise control etc.

Just for clarification, I only have one wire to use to go from the Bowler adapter to the GM adapter. So you are saying hook that one wire to the GM adapter and should the other wire on the GM adapter goes to ground?
      Now I’m confused. I would contact Bowler directly and ask them to help. Contact Craig@Bowler on here. He is very helpful.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Thanks, I sent Craig a PM with the link to the thread

I'll do my best to help you out here. The 2 purple wires one the all in one are independent speed outputs. Each would go to a different place to supply speed signal if needed. Example: 1 to the ECM and the other to the dash speedo. With most GM VSS inputs there is a signal high and signal low wire. The Purple wire you choose from the All in one harness goes to the signal high wire, whichever one that is (GM keeps changing the color codes, so I don't know for sure with that pink/brown combo which one is which) The signal low wire will just need to be connected to ground. That should take care of it. If you hook them up backwards it won't hurt anything, it will just not receive signal correctly.
      visit us on the web at www.bowlertransmissions.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig@Bowler View Post
      I'll do my best to help you out here. The 2 purple wires one the all in one are independent speed outputs. Each would go to a different place to supply speed signal if needed. Example: 1 to the ECM and the other to the dash speedo. With most GM VSS inputs there is a signal high and signal low wire. The Purple wire you choose from the All in one harness goes to the signal high wire, whichever one that is (GM keeps changing the color codes, so I don't know for sure with that pink/brown combo which one is which) The signal low wire will just need to be connected to ground. That should take care of it. If you hook them up backwards it won't hurt anything, it will just not receive signal correctly.
      Perfect, thanks Craig. I was a bit worried I was going to fry something if I did it backwards, after reading the part about high and low signal which I read online added more to my confusion. Would be great if GM threw a female connector for that 2 wire output from their adapter in the kit for a cleaner installation. I can't find anything searching so I'll just cut it off.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com