Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Visiting Tail of the Dragon.

Never been there. Going with three car buddys and wives. Looking for advice on what to do/see/eat in the area. We are staying in some "tree houses" that the wives booked in Robinsville, NC. We are taking a mixed bag of cars, an 08 Z06, a 2019 Audi RS5, and a Pro-touring 65' Olds. Any advice on how to fill a two day visit?
      Justin Snow

Country Flag: United States
      Been there a few times on bikes. Stayed in pigeon forge. The local Goat is a good place to eat. I reccomend the Elvis burger. Peanut butter, bananas & egg. ��
      My half a$$ed build thread.https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...elle-6-0-4L60E

Tighten it till it strips & back it off a quarter turn.

Don't think it's unrestricted racing through there. It's a highway/thruway that commuters, families, businesses use. If your lucky traffic will be light and you can do some running but most of the time you get caught behind a camping trailer, group of old guys on Harleys or someone in no hurry. Killboy.com is one of the photographers that work some of the curves. You can grab pictures of your drive.

Foothills Parkway is a decent drive too but is patrolled like the dragon.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

North Carolina? Grab some local BBQ. They use a vinegar based sauce that is out of this world in that part of the country. The mustard BBQ is fantastic as well. Can't recommend any joints to try though, been too many years since I was there and when I was I was commuting between Maryland and South Carolina.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

I'll cbeck it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
      Don't think it's unrestricted racing through there. It's a highway/thruway that commuters, families, businesses use. If your lucky traffic will be light and you can do some running but most of the time you get caught behind a camping trailer, group of old guys on Harleys or someone in no hurry. Killboy.com is one of the photographers that work some of the curves. You can grab pictures of your drive.

Foothills Parkway is a decent drive too but is patrolled like the dragon.
      I see the Killboy photos on social media.
      I love seeing the variety of cars n motorcycles they photograph. Helped motivate me to go check it out.
      Justin Snow

As said above, the Tail of The Dragon can be a congested mess. To avoid the crowds when driving the Dragon, I've made it a point to show up about an hour or so before dusk. Sunday evenings seem to be the best.

not many places you will get over 35mph, hope the women are good for motion sickness if they don't have the steering wheel in there hands, have fun lots of scenery!
      Steve68- 1968 Camaro SS LSX T56, 12bolt 3:90's, 18" Fikse Profil 13s, Deep Fathom Green paint, Spearcos, just bunch of old junk because another member said so, LOL

70 Nova SS street/drag 454, T400, 3:55, ugly!

Trip went awesome. We drove all over the place and never drove a bad road. The Dragon is definitely the highlight but there were nice roads everywhere. Should have done it sooner!
      Justin Snow

Glad to hear it! If you're ever around north Georgia look up the suches loop. Dragon is like drinking through a fire hose, the loop is longer legged and a bit more open.
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

My wife and I went there in November for our anniversary. We rented a Bronco for a day and of course had to cruise Tail of the Dragon. We went on a weekday and it was not at all crowded. Would love to go back with my Cutlass sometime. As mentioned, the whole area is beautiful and great for driving.

Ordered a high-res print of a different photo from killboy.com for display in the house.

Name:  271948759_10165895318585402_7653115447596018975_n.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  84.9 KB

Nick ~
      1969 Cutlass

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com