Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ford 385 vs Chevy 632

Hopefully this is the correct place to ask this question: I've read the Ford 385 can be pushed to a max stroke of 4.5in (coupled with a max bore of 4.6in that bringing the max displacement to 598). The Ford has a deck height of 10.3in. Chevy recently released the 632CID crate engine. With a shorter deck height of 10.2in what physical differences exist that allows Chevy to utilize a longer stroke of 4.75in (coupled with the same bore 4.6in producing 632CID)?
      More generally: I know this longer stroke results in greater torque and a lower top rpm (all other things being equal) - are there any other results of the greater stroke (faster wear on bearings, etc.)?

Country Flag: United States
      On the 385 series blocks, a 557 inch stoker is about as big as you can go with a stock block and keep the cylinder walls thick enough to be reliable. You can build a 540 with Chevy's largest production block which is the 502. No production (put in a vehicle from the factory) can be bored to 4.6 that I am aware of. The new 632 is a aftermarket block (Bowtie block) that Chevy produces for racers and crate engines like the 572 or 632. These blocks are factory designed for longer strokes, some with raised cam locations or spread pan rails, just like Dart, Merlin or numerous other race offerings.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com